Trace Elements and Coral Collection Location

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 - trace elements - QCC.jpeg

I want to start this article off by saying that this is an extremely niche subject and many reefers who perform frequent or even semi-frequent water changes should not worry about their trace elements if most your corals are growing well because as has been my experience and that of many other reefers trying to chase numbers often leads to more harm than good. This article is mostly just to help reefers understand the ecosystems that we try to mirror in our own small slice of the ocean.

Now that we have that out of the way I want to talk about a few very interesting articles that were recently published in Invertebrate Biology and interestingly enough The Journal of Gemmology these articles while in vastly different fields both touch on very similar subjects the first article “Biochemical variability in sponges across the Caribbean basin” discusses the microbial and energetic content of sponge species across the Caribbean. This article showed how even among the same species of sponges there are large variabilities in the carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, refractory materials and energy levels based on the region they are from. There was also a noticeable similarity in the values amongst species from the same areas, in some cases sponges of different species had more similar energy content than those of the same species from different areas.

The Second article from The Journal of Gemmology titled “Identification of Precious Corals (Corallium rubrum vs C. japonicum) Using LA-ICP-MS Analysis” analysed the 10 trace elements in over 1,000 precious corals from the Mediterranean Sea and Pacific Ocean. They found that Magnesium and Sodium and to a lesser extent Strontium, Lithium, and Uranium had a positive correlation with growth rates and that Calcium and Sulfur had a negative correlation with growth. While this finding has little value to them this is extremely valuable to aquarists, this implies that higher levels of magnesium, Sodium, Strontium, Lithium and Uranium lead to quicker growth, and higher Calcium and Sulfur levels may impede growth. While this may only apply to this specific genus of coral or it could be that faster growth leads to higher intake rather than the other way around it is an interesting finding that may be the basis for future research into the significance of trace elements on coral growth. The main findings in the article showed that there is a statistically significant difference in the levels of Barium and Lead in the corals from different regions.
One interesting thing mentioned by the researchers was that there is no correlation between the concentration of Lead and Barium and the color of the coral from white to pink there was no change in the levels of Lead or Barium. While there are several products that add Barium as a trace element, this is yet another study that cannot conclude that there is a significant effect that it has on the collaboration of corals.

Now that all the science jargon is out of the way you may be wondering what that all means and the short answer is taken alone not much, however the long answer is an idea that many in the hobby have been trying to enforce and that is while coral species and genus is important the area that it is collected from can have a far greater impact on the parameter that the coral has been exposed to. While it is easy to see the oceans as a giant fish tank with consistent parameters the fact is that there are very large fluctuations. However this can be a good thing, it shows what we have known for a very long time, there are many different tanks with wildly different parameters and yet corals will grow in most of them because they are extremely resilient and can be acclimated to new conditions.
I think that it is very easy in this hobby to hop on the new trend that is showing amazing color and growth and trying to adapt your tank to fit those parameters but the problem is that one method that works well for one person might not work for the next due to a myriad of factors that we have no way of truly knowing. You can try to get the same PAR, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and even certain trace elements like Iodine, Iron, and Potassium, but if your Uranium or even soluble protein is different your corals may not grow as well or look as bright. While this may seem like a bad thing it really just means that as time goes on we will have more and more insight into our tanks, in a few years you might be able to break off the tip of an Acropora and send it in to determine the energy content to see if you need to increase your carbohydrates and decrease you lipid dosage. But until then the best thing you can do for your tank is what it has always been maintain stability and pay attention to your corals, if they don’t look happy do a water change and feed them, test what you can test and make sure those parameters are correct. It is very easy to fall into the trap of religiously following a reefing method or even mixing and matching different methods until you're dosing 50 bottles of who knows what twice a day, I know because I have had to catch myself multiple times because I want to get that extra ¼” of growth.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read thanks for sharing the information and your thoughts on it. Overall I agree with much of your conclusions especially that this is a good example of why people with very different tanks and parameters can both be very successful. i think it also may be why someone with "perfect" parameters can at times struggle and not find the issue. There is still so much we dont know about all the variables that impact a corals health/growth/color.

Also it seems I need to find some uranium to boost my growth that 1/4" :)

OP
OP
Queen City Corals

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation. Do you have the link to the original paper?
Hey Spare Time, there definitely needs to be more conclusive evidence and you can't really draw a irrefutable conclusion from any of this but it is very interesting to look at how the findings of the scientific community correlate with the hobby. Also here are the article links sorry I forgot to post them.

Identification of Precious Corals
Biochemical variability in sponges across the Caribbean basin

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for summarizing the contents of the articles and sharing your insights from your understanding them.

With so many reefers sending in their samples for ICP/MS analysis, I would hope that someone might start posting trends and correlations they are seeing with their systems. If hobbyists worked together and pooled their ICP results with photos of their corals, we likely have a huge cache of useful information waiting to be converted into knowledge. But as you said, coral health is so dependent on so many factors such as protein, lipid, light, water flow and others.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second article isn't about growth rate and sea water trace elements.

It concerns itself with trace elements in the skeleton, they talk about the corals incorporating different amounts of those based on growth speed due to seasons and other factors

In fact they mention at one point that levels of barium and lead, which didn't correlate with growth speed, might actually have something to do with how much barium and lead is in the water, as opposed to the other elements

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, trace elements in coral skeletons is of no value in determining what is needed by a coral. Lots of ions bind to calcium carbonate surfaces (such as the uranium mentioned) and get buried as the crystal grows. That happens for abiotic precipitation as well.

It may be useful to know what is being used up by formation of calcium carbonate, although for many trace elements, coral skeletons are not likely the main sink in an aquarium (e.g., ions needed in organism tissues, such as iron).

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although for many trace elements, coral skeletons are not likely the main sink in an aquarium (e.g., ions needed in organism tissues, such as iron).
This article compares trace metals in tissue dry mass and dry skeleton. The ratio is roughly between ca. 1 : 1 and ca. 80 :1 with most ratios being between 10 : 1 and 60 : 1.

Imagine the dry weight of an Acropora skeleton and the tiny dried film that might remain from the tissue.

The trace metal concentrations where even much higher in zooxanthellae but it is much harder to estimate their share of the total dry weight.

And coral tissues of most scleractinians with their zooxanthellae only show two-dimensional growth on three-dimensional skeletons, they do not grow thicker, while the skeletons show real three-dimensional growth, they also grow thicker.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides iron and some other trace metals, iodine is a trace element with extremely high turnover and a short turnover time.

Do we agree that it doesn't evaporate?

If it doesn't evaporate, where does it go to?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article compares trace metals in tissue dry mass and dry skeleton. The ratio is roughly between ca. 1 : 1 and ca. 80 :1 with most ratios being between 10 : 1 and 60 : 1.

Imagine the dry weight of an Acropora skeleton and the tiny dried film that might remain from the tissue.

The trace metal concentrations where even much higher in zooxanthellae but it is much harder to estimate their share of the total dry weight.

And coral tissues of most scleractinians with their zooxanthellae only show two-dimensional growth on three-dimensional skeletons, they do not grow thicker, while the skeletons show real three-dimensional growth, they also grow thicker.

I'm not disputing that skeletons take up a lot of material, and for a hard coral may contain most of many ions in the coral.

But in a typically hobby reef tank, with rapidly growing macroalgae, soft corals, diatoms and microalgae, etc., I contend that those organisms are the biggest biological sink for elements such as iron or manganese.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides iron and some other trace metals, iodine is a trace element with extremely high turnover and a short turnover time.

Do we agree that it doesn't evaporate?

If it doesn't evaporate, where does it go to?

Iodine goes mostly into organism tissues. Seaweeds (macroalgae) of various sorts, especially brown seaweeds contain a massive amount.

A small amount may get into skeletons (iodide and iodate are not very good at binding to calcium carbonate, just like chloride is not), and that surely is not the main sink in a typical reef tank.

FWIW, some does evaporate as organic forms.:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for sharing. I’m no scientist at all but what I’m thinking after this discussion is that maybe the aquacultured corals we are buying that are frags of frags of frags, regardless of where they come from and what they might have required in the ocean, can in fact become best suited to life in a tank with so many of us having similar availability of foods and lighting? It’s just a thought so I’ll be happy to take all criticisms. I know I’ve hard that theory before but maybe these studies imply scientific basis for it as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for sharing. I’m no scientist at all but what I’m thinking after this discussion is that maybe the aquacultured corals we are buying that are frags of frags of frags, regardless of where they come from and what they might have required in the ocean, can in fact become best suited to life in a tank with so many of us having similar availability of foods and lighting? It’s just a thought so I’ll be happy to take all criticisms. I know I’ve hard that theory before but maybe these studies imply scientific basis for it as well?

I personally doubt there can be much variation on the actual amount of most critical trace elements taken up per gram of tissue added since organisms typically need them to make biomolecules needed for basic life functions (e.g., iron, manganese and copper used in photosynthesis), but I do expect that, and there is scientific evidence for, organisms can substantially adapt to differences in availability of different trace elements by up or down regulating their uptake mechanisms.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine goes mostly into organism tissues. Seaweeds (macroalgae) of various sorts, especially brown seaweeds contain a massive amount.
I don't want to be subtle but even in seaweeds iodine seems to be located in external tissues and outside cells (extracellular) which maybe also form a kind of "skeleton". I think most tanks do not harbor many brown seaweeds.

Unfortunately iodine and its presence in organisms seems grossly underinvestigated to me. Typically iodine seems to be found in high concentrations in keratin-like scleroproteins in gorgonians (gorgonin), sponges (spongin) and in chitin, a polysaccharide. All these substances are skeletal substances, also if they are organic and not calcareous.

My observations in reef aquaria seem to tell me that iodine may also be present in the organic part of the skeletons and supporting tissues of leather corals and even in the skeletal organic matrix in scleractinians although I have no proof of it. I was not even able to find the substance that makes leather corals so tough and leathery.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be subtle but even in seaweeds iodine seems to be located in external tissues and outside cells (extracellular) which maybe also form a kind of "skeleton". I think most tanks do not harbor many brown seaweeds.

Unfortunately iodine and its presence in organisms seems grossly underinvestigated to me. Typically iodine seems to be found in high concentrations in keratin-like scleroproteins in gorgonians (gorgonin), sponges (spongin) and in chitin, a polysaccharide. All these substances are skeletal substances, also if they are organic and not calcareous.

My observations in reef aquaria seem to tell me that iodine may also be present in the organic part of the skeletons and supporting tissues of leather corals and even in the skeletal organic matrix in scleractinians although I have no proof of it. I was not even able to find the substance that makes leather corals so tough and leathery.

Even chaetomorpha and caulerpa contain a lot of iodine. Some of these types contain more than 1,000 ppm of iodine.

This article shows the iodine level in many, many species of algae, some of which have more than 5,000 ppm iodine:

"The seasonal variation of iodine levels of 21 species of marine algae from Okha has been analyzed [103]. The levels in green seaweeds are highest (66.8 to 88.2 mg/100 g dry algae) in Caulerpa racemosa and lowest (30.3 to 38.1) in Enteromorpha flexuosa. The level increased from young to mature plant."

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, Randy!
The iodine concentration in algae seems to be given generally as per dry wt., which is maybe 10 to 20 % of wet wt. except in Corallinales. In the gorgonians iodine was found in %-range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, Randy!
The iodine concentration in algae seems to be given generally as per dry wt., which is maybe 10 to 20 % of wet wt. except in Corallinales. In the gorgonians iodine was found in %-range.

I agree that certain gorgonians use it for purposes that many organisms do not have. That is why when I say that there is little demonstrated need for iodine in reef tank creatures, gorgonians are listed as an exception:

Who Uses Iodine: Gorgonia And Antipatharian Corals (Black Coral)
Another set of creatures of the deep that use iodine are certain gorgonia, such as Plexaura flexuosa. They have 3,5-diiodotyrosine in their bodies, to the tune of 0.1 to 2.6% of the total dry weight as iodine. This iodoamino acid is presumably incorporated into proteins in the skeleton (stem), but the benefit is unclear. Again, it may be largely an antipredatory effect that is desired. The iodine incorporation in gorgonia seems to increase with age. The proteins of many different gorgonia species contain substantial iodine: Eunicella otenocalloides 6.5-8.9% by weight%, Gorgonia verrucosa 4.2-9.0, G. lamarcki 3.3-6.8, G. scirpearia 0.4-0.6, Rhipidigorgia flabellum 0.6-1.1, Euplexora maghrebensis 0.19-0.23, and Plexaura kukenthali 1.9-2.2. It has also been demonstrated that at least one gorgonia (E. verrucosa) takes up iodine in the form of inorganic iodine from the water column.

One study showed that the organoiodine compound thyroxine, and some related compounds, are localized to certain parts of the gorgonia L. virgulata. Most interestingly, one of the places it is localized to are scleroblasts (spicule-forming cells) and on the spicules themselves. Further, the addition of thyroxine to these cells impacted the uptake of calcium, and it is suggested that the thyroxine functions in spicule formation.

The antipatharian corals (the black corals) also seem to incorporate a lot of iodine. The basal regions of these corals are especially loaded with iodine, with more than 23% iodine by dry weight recorded in two species. Again, the specific purpose is not known.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This iodoamino acid is presumably incorporated into proteins in the skeleton (stem), but the benefit is unclear. Again, it may be largely an antipredatory effect that is desired.
I have a book in comparative biochemistry. It says the iodine is tanning (hardening) the proteins, I guess to make it the hard and flexible skeleton the gorgonians have.

I have noticed that already slightly low iodine concentrations are sufficient to stop gorgonian growth and to worsen polyp extension. Slightly high iodine concentrations improved both significantly.

Back