Tracking SPS and par

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the lighting options like MH, LED and T5 how many people actually keep track of each SPS and what the par is that they are under? I am currently running a 250w radium MH.

My highest number that I hav two SPS is 486. I have a SC Orange Passion just under 400 par. Once I get my new 120 build done I am going map out my par levels for all my corals.

One reason I ask is when you buy a coral from someone do you know the par level or does it matter to you?

I like how Mike at Big R corals list the PAR he keeps his different corals under(general range) and I wish more vendors would list type of lighting and par range.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the lighting options like MH, LED and T5 how many people actually keep track of each SPS and what the par is that they are under? I am currently running a 250w radium MH.

My highest number that I hav two SPS is 486. I have a SC Orange Passion just under 400 par. Once I get my new 120 build done I am going map out my par levels for all my corals.

One reason I ask is when you buy a coral from someone do you know the par level or does it matter to you?

I like how Mike at Big R corals list the PAR he keeps his different corals under(general range) and I wish more vendors would list type of lighting and par range.
I didn't used to but after killing a bunch of SPS under LEDs I have started to pay much more attention. Like you I have always ran Radiums and just put my sps towards the top. With LEDs you kinda need to know the score.

OP
OP
Hausser

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with radions and switched to T5, I broke my T5 fixture now using MH since I had one laying around. I never had luck with LEDs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not usually buy SPS frags grown and raised under LED unless I have no other choice, especially if they need shipped - not never, or anything, but it matters a BUNCH to me. They do not ship well, IMO, and they take many more months to recover and start to grow. I stopped buying ORA frags/clams from LiveAquaria because of this. If they are MH or T5 frags, then I just dip them and put them directly in my frag tank under the 14K Phoenix at about 400 PAR and they just continue to grow. I would only worry about this if they are LED frags... otherwise, just do your thing.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've done PAR readings in our tanks at work. Check out my build tread for pictures of our values(on the first page).
It goes from 100 to 650 I think(deep tank, large lamps). But it works fine, the corals just grows in different ways with different speed and colour :)

/ David

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back