Training mandarins on prepared food

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently got a mandarin from my lfs he is fat and healthy by the looks of it and he is in a 5 gallon qt tank because I would like to train him more easily all he seems to be doing is looking at his reflection and isn't interested in any foods I tried pellets mysis and artci pods any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you

Attachments

• 20201011_133604.mp4
    41.5 MB

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they are trained they still need pods. They may not try frozen at all unless they have a supply of pods. Mine started eating frozen on her own. She has an abundance of pods but had decided that frozen brine shrimp taste pretty good

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw some pods in there and when you see him eating them try and throw a few frozen brine in front of him. I’ve heard soaking them in selecon may help.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is acc geat thread to start. Ive wanted a mandarin for my 20g but we all know the story ... :rolleyes:
SO ive decided to get a female ruby red dragonet: much smaller, easier to train onto prepared foods, but still have mandarin characteristics. I went to my LFS yesterday to buy pods (ended up buying an anemone also but thats another story...) I told him i was thinkign about adding pods then getting the fish in a month, but putting the fish in a QT or breeder box so i could train her onto frozen/prepared. He told me it was probably not going to work out well, so im probably going to refrain from it. Hopefully you have a big pod population in your tank, because your current path probably isnt gonna go too well. I'd just put it in your DT. Good luck

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they are trained they still need pods. They may not try frozen at all unless they have a supply of pods. Mine started eating frozen on her own. She has an abundance of pods but had decided that frozen brine shrimp taste pretty good
Yes I'm aware that they need pods regardless but I'm wondering how to get them interested in other foods

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm aware that they need pods regardless but I'm wondering how to get them interested in other foods
Ive heard that you can add garlic juices and stuff to your frozen foods, it makes them taste better for the fish and makes them more nutritious. Try it, if it doesnt work out, put the mando in your DT we wouldnt want him starving.

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is acc geat thread to start. Ive wanted a mandarin for my 20g but we all know the story ... :rolleyes:
SO ive decided to get a female ruby red dragonet: much smaller, easier to train onto prepared foods, but still have mandarin characteristics. I went to my LFS yesterday to buy pods (ended up buying an anemone also but thats another story...) I told him i was thinkign about adding pods then getting the fish in a month, but putting the fish in a QT or breeder box so i could train her onto frozen/prepared. He told me it was probably not going to work out well, so im probably going to refrain from it. Hopefully you have a big pod population in your tank, because your current path probably isnt gonna go too well. I'd just put it in your DT. Good luck
Yeah I was thinking to just put it in the display because u have pods and a full plus I'm culturing some but u thought it would be nice if he ate frozen bu probably not worth the risk to keep I'm in there

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try live baby brine shrimp. Sure it is a live food. But they are easy to hatch out and it is a live food that you can get your mandarin on until it accepts frozen food. Potentially, you could raise adult brine and see if it will accept frozen brine.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking to just put it in the display because u have pods and a full plus I'm culturing some but u thought it would be nice if he ate frozen bu probably not worth the risk to keep I'm in there
It may work out later once hes in the DT, and he decides he wants to "expand his horizons" food-wise :p Good luck

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin that is well fed on pods will more likely try frozen is what I was getting at.
I second this. Does anyone know if ruby reds are easier than other dragonets, and if their easier to train onto prepared foods than other dragonets? If so, which ones? Currently trying to add a tiny dragonet to my 20g, seeded tank yesterday, will wait a month or two.

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. Does anyone know if ruby reds are easier than other dragonets, and if their easier to train onto prepared foods than other dragonets? If so, which ones? Currently trying to add a tiny dragonet to my 20g, seeded tank yesterday, will wait a month or two.
I think they don't need as much pods as mandarins cause they are smaller

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back