Transfering nerites from salt, to fresh, and back again?

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, kinda a weird pseudo-saltwater question, so if you think I'm better off asking on a freshwater forum just let me know. :)

I've got a ton of nerites in my saltwater tank and an algae problem in my freshwater tank. Is there any way I can convert my salty nerites to freshwater, let them go wild on the algae buffet, then move them back to saltwater once the freshwater tank is under control? Would drip acclimating work, or is it better to just not move them?

Currently I have one nerite in the freshwater tank, but he was bought already acclimated to freshwater, whereas all my saltwater nerites were bought acclimated to saltwater. My LFS hasn't had freshwater nerites in for a long time and I'm getting impatient with this algae.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, kinda a weird pseudo-saltwater question, so if you think I'm better off asking on a freshwater forum just let me know. :)

I've got a ton of nerites in my saltwater tank and an algae problem in my freshwater tank. Is there any way I can convert my salty nerites to freshwater, let them go wild on the algae buffet, then move them back to saltwater once the freshwater tank is under control? Would drip acclimating work, or is it better to just not move them?

Currently I have one nerite in the freshwater tank, but he was bought already acclimated to freshwater, whereas all my saltwater nerites were bought acclimated to saltwater. My LFS hasn't had freshwater nerites in for a long time and I'm getting impatient with this algae.
If I were you, I would drop acclimate for a very long time, let them do the job and drop acclimate again for a very long time. Nerites are much happier in saltwater, though you could do them in freshwater, they just may become too stressed or want to escape more

OP
OP
Petrichor

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would drop acclimate for a very long time, let them do the job and drop acclimate again for a very long time. Nerites are much happier in saltwater, though you could do them in freshwater, they just may become too stressed or want to escape more
That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back