Transferring to a new tank

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am getting a new tank soon to replace the one I am currently using. I am trading my 55 tall for a 55 short, so I will not be able to cycle a brand new tank in preparation to receive my livestock.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can accomplish this move and keep all of my coral/fish/snails alive and happy?

I am thinking of using my spare 10-gallon as a temporary holding tank while I get the other tank setup.

I have 2 clownfish, 1 small bumblebee Gobie, and a sail fin blenny.
I also have 6 coral. 1 GSP grown onto a rock, 2 zoa colonies, a candy cane (kryptonite), a favia, and a chalice coral.

Thoughts, suggestions?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up draining 2/3 of my 60 gallon tall into tote containers and moving it out of the way to place the new tank in its place (see my build thread). I then cycled the new tank with water and rock from the old tank and then moved everything over once the new tank was ready. Worked great. I had no fish or coral losses. Good luck.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am getting a new tank soon to replace the one I am currently using. I am trading my 55 tall for a 55 short, so I will not be able to cycle a brand new tank in preparation to receive my livestock.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can accomplish this move and keep all of my coral/fish/snails alive and happy?

I am thinking of using my spare 10-gallon as a temporary holding tank while I get the other tank setup.

I have 2 clownfish, 1 small bumblebee Gobie, and a sail fin blenny.
I also have 6 coral. 1 GSP grown onto a rock, 2 zoa colonies, a candy cane (kryptonite), a favia, and a chalice coral.

Thoughts, suggestions?
So especially since the tank volumes will be exactly the same, you should be able to just directly transfer everything over in one go without having to cycle the new tank or anything like that. Basically just move all live stock to a temporary holding container, put your live rock and all media in another container. Then move the old tank away, put the new tank in, add the live rock and media and stuff, add water and livestock, tada.

OP
OP
Atrumblood

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So especially since the tank volumes will be exactly the same, you should be able to just directly transfer everything over in one go without having to cycle the new tank or anything like that. Basically just move all live stock to a temporary holding container, put your live rock and all media in another container. Then move the old tank away, put the new tank in, add the live rock and media and stuff, add water and livestock, tada.
Thanks for the reply.

What about sand? Should I transfer that? Or would it be better to get new sand and just dose some Dr Tim's?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

What about sand? Should I transfer that? Or would it be better to get new sand and just dose some Dr Tim's?
Either/or. A lot of people will recommend new sand and that's probably safer, but personally I would just rinse the old sand in some saltwater then chuck the sand (and as little of the water as possible) in.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely new sand. Washing used sand adequately can and will take hours. That's time you could be using on getting the new tank set up. I always give new sand a rinse also but that is a lot faster and can be done beforehand. Washing your old sand cannot.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

we still rinse the new sand coming up to total cloudlessness because the counter option is getting a three day cloud that doesnt help anything. the live rock bacteria are all that matters, not the old sand bac.

toss

rinse new sand for a while in tap water, final rinse is ro

then use it for a skip cycle new setup.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back