Trashcan Pod Farming

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this thread and I may have to do this. I have a 30 gallon tub with cured live rock in it. I could seed with pods and just keep it going. I'll have to heat it in the winter though. Would love to keep enough pods to keep my tank fed.

I took pods thru winter with water once hitting 48 degrees. I lost much more when float valve stuck, diluting salinity to 1.10 for a short time. Like I said, pods are durable. They don’t need to be pampered. When you try to maintain reef temperature with 1000G of water outdoors in the winter, it gets expensive. Yes, it’s true that higher temperature will excellarate pod growth. It’s your electric bill.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mariculture-in-austin.426805/

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a 10g frag tank into my display, the tank has only a few snails, and no predators... It is the pod haven I've only dreamed of. My wrasse are SO happy there's an endless supply of copepods and big fat amphipods that make their way into the display.

Not even a fuge had been this successful for me -- I think they are easily sustained by the high quality light that grows out light algae for 'em.

Osidedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 gallon buckets going of Rotifers, Apex pods and Tigger pods also 3 for brine as it takes 3 weeks for them to mature. Living near San Diego with free sand filtered water from Scripps I do water changes. All my pods came from Reef Nutrition. My garage started out with my reef tank but is starting to be taking over by the "live food".

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 gallon buckets going of Rotifers, Apex pods and Tigger pods also 3 for brine as it takes 3 weeks for them to mature. Living near San Diego with free sand filtered water from Scripps I do water changes. All my pods came from Reef Nutrition. My garage started out with my reef tank but is starting to be taking over by the "live food".

For certain, live food can be a full time business. You are fortunate to live in an area with such moderate temperatures to allow aquaculture in an exterior garage. Here in Austin, I grow out live food for marine predators: ghost shrimp & green mollies. With Texas summer temperatures at 105 degrees, cooling is my biggest concern. Every day, I evaporate 50 gallons of water to maintain 900 gallons of system water between 75 & 85 degrees.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of copepods do you get from Algagen? I had RN Tigger Pods and Algagen Tisbe pods in two separate 5g before this video. Tisbe pods contaminated the Tigger pods and I had to reboot the two 5g with straight Tigger pods. Tisbes must have been eating the Tigger pods babies, because those stopped populating.
I do something very similar with Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods in a 20g now with feeding only raw spirulina powder.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I do something very similar with Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods in a 20g now with feeding only raw spirulina powder.

I spoke to the guy who is in charge of the culture at Reef Nutrition (nicest people) at RAP and he said that Tigger pods need some light to develop the color which is responsible for their high nutritional value.

I have a small culture of Tigger Pods I started right after RAP NY and its still live even though I completely forget about it for weeks at a time and haven't fed them for that long. He told me to feed phyto every other day.

I've topped off huge amounts of water changing the salinity drastically; these things are indestructible!!!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to the guy who is in charge of the culture at Reef Nutrition (nicest people) at RAP and he said that Tigger pods need some light to develop the color which is responsible for their high nutritional value.

I have a small culture of Tigger Pods I started right after RAP NY and its still live even though I completely forget about it for weeks at a time and haven't fed them for that long. He told me to feed phyto every other day.

I've topped off huge amounts of water changing the salinity drastically; these things are indestructible!!!
RN Tigger pods where they are collected is what makes them that way. Tide poles in California dry up, temp goes up to 90F, salinity raises because of evaporation. Tigger pods are actually the best nutritional value for Omega 3.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
One question, don't they get "shredded" by the powerhead running? The guy (I hate calling him the guy but don't remember his name) from Reef Nutrition said to use just airline with bubbles for water movement and use shallow dishes.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, don't they get "shredded" by the powerhead running? The guy (I hate calling him the guy but don't remember his name) from Reef Nutrition said to use just airline with bubbles for water movement and use shallow dishes.
Yes Tigger pods and powerheads/pumps will kill them. Tisbe pods can handle them.
Was the guys name Chad?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes Tigger pods and powerheads/pumps will kill them. Tisbe pods can handle them.
Was the guys name Chad?

Perhaps Chad, very nice guy probably upper 30s. Wealth of knowledge on the topic and unafraid to share.

Osidedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His name is Chad...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back