Treat Fish With Coral

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best Way to treat my sick fish with Coral in my tank? I'm all new to having Coral and saltwater to tell the truth. Been thinking of using Peroxide. I've been reading about it.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :)

What is going on with your fish? Are you dealing with parasites or worms?

Can you post some pics of the fish?
When I get home this evening I will get Some Pictures. He has some soft white spots on him. Doesn't look like the normal White balls setting on his skin. kind of looks like its under the skin. This morning it kind of looked like his eyes was a little cloudy. But my lights wasn't bright Yet they were still in sun rise mood so Couldn't tell. I did a freshwater bath the other day and seemed to be good for about a week now.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Sounds like "flukes" are in your tank and attacking your fish. You can treat the display tank with Prazipro. Here's @Humblefish's treatment advisory.

Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best Way to treat my sick fish with Coral in my tank? I'm all new to having Coral and saltwater to tell the truth. Been thinking of using Peroxide. I've been reading about it.
Maybe you can see with this picture.
20180703_195829.jpeg

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like crypt or velvet. In any case you can't treat it effectively with corals present. you will either need to catch the fish out or remove the corals. I'd dose chloroquine first if you've got it available. If not you'll need to treat very aggressively with copper. if you dont have any medications readily available you can try hyposalinity, but you don't have much time.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in the tank? That guy looks like he could be pretty darn sick and you might have a fallow period in order for your display.

I would go with @HotRocks suggestion that it could be velvet, and start a copper treatment in qt. If that doesn’t work after a full course of copper treatment, treat for flukes, and if that doesn’t work...

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like crypt or velvet. In any case you can't treat it effectively with corals present. you will either need to catch the fish out or remove the corals. I'd dose chloroquine first if you've got it available. If not you'll need to treat very aggressively with copper. if you dont have any medications readily available you can try hyposalinity, but you don't have much time.
I guess I'll be screwed it being the 4th tomorrow I won't be able to get anything for a qt or take it any where.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in the tank? That guy looks like he could be pretty darn sick and you might have a fallow period in order for your display.

I would go with @HotRocks suggestion that it could be velvet, and start a copper treatment in qt. If that doesn’t work after a full course of copper treatment, treat for flukes, and if that doesn’t work...
I only have a clown in there with him. I won't be able to get him and get anything I need to treat him sense tomorrow is the 4th. All the stores will be closed.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a small 5gal freshwater I could take fish out of and put in my 26gal and use it for a fast small qt I reckon. But I still won't have anything to treat him with.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any local groups or hobbyists or FB groups? I would gladly lend a bottle of copper or spare equipment to anyone trying to save a fish.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would a ultraviolet light on my filter help with this issue in the future?

Maybe/kind of/not really? Depends who you ask.

The real solution is to perform a thorough and careful quarantine of all new fish at a minimum, and of everything wet entering your tank if you're super thorough. There's an excellent sticky about qt written by @Humblefish. It would be a helpful read for you. Personally, I always treat all fish in qt with copper (testing with Hanna Checker) and Prazi, but there are also other methods and ideas about how it should be done.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe/kind of/not really? Depends who you ask.

The real solution is to perform a thorough and careful quarantine of all new fish at a minimum, and of everything wet entering your tank if you're super thorough. There's an excellent sticky about qt written by @Humblefish. It would be a helpful read for you. Personally, I always treat all fish in qt with copper (testing with Hanna Checker) and Prazi, but there are also other methods and ideas about how it should be done.
Thing is I haven't added any new fish in the tank in about 3 weeks. I've done aquarium way to long to let in a fish to fast in my tank at that. This is just my first saltwater I've ever had

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is I haven't added any new fish in the tank in about 3 weeks. I've done aquarium way to long to let in a fish to fast in my tank at that

Well, it sure looks like something got in there. Maybe time to revise/reexamine your qt protocol (I don't mean that in a rude way, I've had to modify my qt procedure over the years).

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back