Treating Ick, Tank hit 98 Degrees

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an ick outbreak, i tried treating the entire tank with Kordon Ick Attach (herbal med). 3 weeks of double dosing about 5 bottles wasted, it looked a little better and i thought it was working. Overnight 1 day got really bad, huge white spots covering all the fish. 1 fish died.
So i decided to setup a smaller tank, pull my inverts and corals, pulled some rock to for them to hide in and feel comfy.

Started using copper safe in tank, looks much better but fish still scratching on sand and glass. I added another pump in the tank pointing up and I raised the Temp and from looking around forums it looks like 86-89 is the highest anyone every recommends for treating ick. so I started raising the heater, the max number on the heater is 92 but the dial still goes a few notches higher. Slow progression throughout the day and the last time i touched the heater was about 7-8 pm and the last time i checked the temp it was at 86 around 11:30pm when i went to bed. The temp had not climbed at all from about 9:30-11:30pm so i thought it was done and that was the highest it went.....

I wake up next day and the tank is at 98 degrees with my 3 damsels dead. I only really found 1 dead in the sand the others just disappeared...
My 2 angels were fine though, breathing a little hard but still swimming. removed cover and lowered the heater immediately. Within 2 hours it was down to 85 and i kept it there. Tested water parameters and all looked good, ammonia was at 0 or maybe a tiny bit higher, def lower that 0.25 which is the next reading on the color card. Def looked to be zero. Nitrates and Nitrites both 0 and PH 8.0-8.2.

So this was this Saturday (4/5/14) that past, when i woke up to a 98 Degree tank. The fish are still going, alive swimming... Just 2 angles in the tank.

My question.... since the tank actually hit 98 Degrees, could i safely assume the Ick is dead? I mean even if they were attached to the fish could they have survived?

ngarcia11892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard that if marine ick gets too hot it goes into its cyst form and can withstand it. Also you may have issues because you used copper in the main tank. Theres gonna be copper in the seams of the tank,rocks,sand etc which will slowly leach

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can survive up to 72 days without a host. Typically why I say to keep the tank fallow 12 weeks just to make sure it's all gone. Now putting copper in a tank that you plan on putting coral inverts back in wasn't a good thing. The rock/sand can leach the copper it absorbs for a long time. Killing corals and inverts. Normally copper is only used in a bare bottom qt tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back