Confirmation of ick?

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again doing the qt thing, but wanted to observe before starting any unnecessary treatment. Fish started drastically scratching after being in qt for 8 days. From my observation, it looks like ick. No swimming into powerheads, and all are eating like pigs still. Achilles is obviously stressed from the scratching, but again, still eating exceptionally well. After seeing the obvious infections, I’ve started with copper power, but will ramp up accordingly. Excuse the tiny piece of nori at the side of the tank-looks like it’s something on the Achilles, but it’s on the glass.

Any thoughts on the pics provided? I will try to include a quick video, but not sure if it will work. IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg IMG_0480.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once again doing the qt thing, but wanted to observe before starting any unnecessary treatment. Fish started drastically scratching after being in qt for 8 days. From my observation, it looks like ick. No swimming into powerheads, and all are eating like pigs still. Achilles is obviously stressed from the scratching, but again, still eating exceptionally well. After seeing the obvious infections, I’ve started with copper power, but will ramp up accordingly. Excuse the tiny piece of nori at the side of the tank-looks like it’s something on the Achilles, but it’s on the glass.

Any thoughts on the pics provided? I will try to include a quick video, but not sure if it will work. IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg IMG_0480.jpeg
Does appear to be ich although could use a couple of side shots. This is a fish that is susceptible to velvet. You will have to pull it and place it in quarantine setting and treat with either Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. I suugest treating the others in with it also
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does appear to be ich although could use a couple of side shots. This is a fish that is susceptible to velvet. You will have to pull it and place it in quarantine setting and treat with either Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. I suugest treating the others in with it also
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Ok will do thanks. Should I ramp up copper power sooner or because it’s an Achilles, should I stick to the normal 5-7 days to reach therapeutic levels?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok will do thanks. Should I ramp up copper power sooner or because it’s an Achilles, should I stick to the normal 5-7 days to reach therapeutic levels?
Do Not ramp up the copper but get to treatment level within 24 hours as ramping up is not recommended as Increasing copper level slowly can allow the disease to gain resistance making it harder to treat given disease.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect! Thank you for your help.

Just to confirm - yes, that's ich. Copper Power needs to be dosed quickly but accurately. It is ionic copper (that is rarely used now days) that needs to be ramped up more slowly, over 2 to 3 days. You don't want the disease to get ahead of you - copper power won't be effective until you reach 2.0 ppm

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back