Disease Identification / Treatment Non Emergency

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all and happy new year!

I just picked up 2 new Triggers (Pink Tail and a Black Trigger)

They looked great at the local Store, 2 days later while in my 60gal observation tank I noticed these spots. Due to the size and location I am guessing this is not ICK but could be 100% wrong.

Do these look like Flukes or was I wrong and it is in fact ICK. I have multiple QT tanks so I'm not worried and have almost every med in the med bag. I just set up a 20gal QT and dosed the tank with Rid Ick Plus, Not a problem for me to set up another tank and use another treatment method. I do Have copper and Formalin on hand as well as Prazi, API General Cure and Nitrofurazone.

Both are eating, no scratching, Just Hiding but I assume it's the transfer to new home....
All Parameters are perfect and of course I feed nothing but the best foods fortified with added
vitamins.

Thoughts?

image3.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

They looked great at the local Store, 2 days later while in my 60gal observation tank I noticed these spots. Due to the size and location I am guessing this is not ICK but could be 100% wrong.

Do these look like Flukes or was I wrong and it is in fact ICK. I have multiple QT tanks so I'm not worried and have almost every med in the med bag. I just set up a 20gal QT and dosed the tank with Rid Ick Plus, Not a problem for me to set up another tank and use another treatment method. I do Have copper and Formalin on hand as well as Prazi, API General Cure and Nitrofurazone.

Both are eating, no scratching, Just Hiding but I assume it's the transfer to new home....
All Parameters are perfect and of course I feed nothing but the best foods fortified with added
vitamins.

Thoughts?

This is clearly ich based on size and location and will warrant a quarantine tank using either Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vitamins.

Thoughts?

Agree, rid-ich rarely works and for copper . . . . Coppersafe or cupramine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However - I'm not sure this has been mentioned - the other fish in that tank also need to be treated - and the tank fallowed for 45-76 days depending on protocol
Yes Fortunately 3 small fish went into copper in another QT, appreciate the good follow-up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
#fishmedic
Good evening guys! Quick Question / Update

I have been diligent in keeping copper power levels @ 2.35 - 2.50 never dropping below as I test Daily. In addition, I have been transferring to a new QT every 3rd day, the new QT will always have copper levels settled in the range above as I prepare the tanks as soon as I transfer, then clean and replace with new water and copper.

Given this is going on day 10 and I just did my 3rd Transfer, I would expect these spots to have gone away. Am I wrong in this assumption?

The Pink-tail trigger is the only one with spots, the black trigger may have one or two but not to this extent. All fish are eating like hogs, just a little hiding here and there.
Respiration all fish is perfect and normal. Water quality perfect with salinity @1.023

Could this be something else or am I not realizing how long these spots will take to go away before I start the 14 day clock...? Any suggestions for further treatment, possibly a fresh water dip? Thoughts? Sorry about the blue light if I need better pics I'll upload in the morning just let me know ... Thanks again
im1.jpeg
im1.jpeg
im2.jpeg
ima3.jpeg
im4.jpeg
ima4.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
#fishmedic
Good evening guys! Quick Question / Update

I have been diligent in keeping copper power levels @ 2.35 - 2.50 never dropping below as I test Daily. In addition, I have been transferring to a new QT every 3rd day, the new QT will always have copper levels settled in the range above as I prepare the tanks as soon as I transfer, then clean and replace with new water and copper.

Given this is going on day 10 and I just did my 3rd Transfer, I would expect these spots to have gone away. Am I wrong in this assumption?

The Pink-tail trigger is the only one with spots, the black trigger may have one or two but not to this extent. All fish are eating like hogs, just a little hiding here and there.
Respiration all fish is perfect and normal. Water quality perfect with salinity @1.023

Could this be something else or am I not realizing how long these spots will take to go away before I start the 14 day clock...? Any suggestions for further treatment, possibly a fresh water dip? Thoughts? Sorry about the blue light if I need better pics I'll upload in the morning just let me know ... Thanks again
im1.jpeg
im1.jpeg
im2.jpeg
ima3.jpeg
im4.jpeg
ima4.jpeg
Hi, I’ve never combined copper with tank transfers, it should work, but I can’t say for certain.

If the trigger has spots ONLY on its body and no spots on any fins (I couldn’t tell) then this could be mucus plugs, a sign of stress in some fish.

That said, the minimum length of any copper treatment is 21 days.

Jay

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you allowing everything (heater, filters, tanks, decorations, etc) to dry out for 24 hrs between transfers? I realize copper is involved too. Copper is at 2+ ppm before the fishes are transferred to the new tanks, right?

Individual ich spots, the trophonts (feeders), shouldn't stay on the fish any longer than a week at most. Usually it's only a few days. You might check through your pics and see if the spots are in the same place.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you allowing everything (heater, filters, tanks, decorations, etc) to dry out for 24 hrs between transfers? I realize copper is involved too. Copper is at 2+ ppm before the fishes are transferred to the new tanks, right?

Individual ich spots, the trophonts (feeders), shouldn't stay on the fish any longer than a week at most. Usually it's only a few days. You might check through your pics and see if the spots are in the same place.
Since copper is being used and levels are never lower than 2.35ppm, I am not drying things out or disinfecting, I am just doing 100% water change and letting the tank settle for 3 days before the next transfer, my thoughts are it's more work and not necessary. I am not seeing any spots on fins which leads me to believe it's what Jay mentioned mucus plugs.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper is being used and levels are never lower than 2.35ppm, I am not drying things out or disinfecting, I am just doing 100% water change and letting the tank settle for 3 days before the next transfer, my thoughts are it's more work and not necessary. I am not seeing any spots on fins which leads me to believe it's what Jay mentioned mucus plugs.
Transfers are for managing ammonia, then?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve never combined copper with tank transfers, it should work, but I can’t say for certain.

If the trigger has spots ONLY on its body and no spots on any fins (I couldn’t tell) then this could be mucus plugs, a sign of stress in some fish.

That said, the minimum length of any copper treatment is 21 days.

Jay
Jay, if in fact these are mucus plugs, any recommendation on treatment after the 21 days of copper?
Transfers are for managing ammonia, then?
Correct!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, if in fact these are mucus plugs, any recommendation on treatment after the 21 days of copper?

Correct!

No treatment for mucus plugs, other than to limit stress. The big issue is that ich itself can be one of the stressors. I've seen a number of cases here where the fish had mucus plugs AND ich - that really muddies the waters!

Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back