Treating lionfish and kin for internal parasites

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, I have a fuzzy dwarf that I think has internal parasites and wondering if I should treat with Parazipro or something else. I'm also wondering if I should treat separately or in the main tank. I currently have 2 fuzzies (about2.5 to 3 inches each), a scorpionfish ( about 3 inches), a volitans ( about 5 inches), and no inverts or corals just live rock. I've read that lions and such often have parasites and that this can be used as a pre treatment before symptoms show.

The reason why I think the one has parasites is because it has long thin white stringy poop, which I understand is a symptom and because shows interest in live food but won't go after it. All fish are fed freshwater live bearers and gut loaded ghost shrimp. The fuzzy in question was eating before it stopped. It's only been about 3 days since it's last feeding. As far as I know none of the fish have ever been medicated before. I've had the lionfish a couple weeks now and the scorpionfish about a month. They are temporarily in a 20g long as an observational/quarantine tank. I know I should quarantine separately but figured with the specimens in question it would be ok.

I have not checked nitrates but ammonia and nitrite are 0. PH is around 8.0-8.1

Thanks for any advice Jason

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Coy Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello Everyone, I have a fuzzy dwarf that I think has internal parasites and wondering if I should treat with Parazipro or something else. I'm also wondering if I should treat separately or in the main tank. I currently have 2 fuzzies (about2.5 to 3 inches each), a scorpionfish ( about 3 inches), a volitans ( about 5 inches), and no inverts or corals just live rock. I've read that lions and such often have parasites and that this can be used as a pre treatment before symptoms show.

The reason why I think the one has parasites is because it has long thin white stringy poop, which I understand is a symptom and because shows interest in live food but won't go after it. All fish are fed freshwater live bearers and gut loaded ghost shrimp. The fuzzy in question was eating before it stopped. It's only been about 3 days since it's last feeding. As far as I know none of the fish have ever been medicated before. I've had the lionfish a couple weeks now and the scorpionfish about a month. They are temporarily in a 20g long as an observational/quarantine tank. I know I should quarantine separately but figured with the specimens in question it would be ok.

lack of interest in food can be water quality related such as elevated ammonia, nitrate or even low oxygen. The stringy feces can be from fats based on foods fed. In Lieu of prazi, I would suggest treatment with general cure which contains prazi and metroplex also effective with some internals issues.
Add an air stone during treatment and monitor water quality

OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lack of interest in food can be water quality related such as elevated ammonia, nitrate or even low oxygen. The stringy feces can be from fats based on foods fed. In Lieu of prazi, I would suggest treatment with general cure which contains prazi and metroplex also effective with some internals issues.
Add an air stone during treatment and monitor water quality
Thanks for suggestion. Good to know it could be other stuff causing lack of feeding. I just tried feeding again and it is def interested but just didn't go after it. I try to keep the other lionfish back but the wrong one ended up taking it. It's possible it's just a little bit more methodical in it's eating and therefore slow to the draw. They usually come out begging for food and this one is not which is a little off.

I started to ask about general cure so I'm glad you mentioned it. Is there any reason not to treat the whole tank in this case?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Praziquantel only helps with external flukes and internal cestodes (tapeworms). Neither of those issues will cause white feces though.

Metronidazole in a treatment tank will help if it is a protozoan issue. If it is bacterial, then it becomes harder to treat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for suggestion. Good to know it could be other stuff causing lack of feeding. I just tried feeding again and it is def interested but just didn't go after it. I try to keep the other lionfish back but the wrong one ended up taking it. It's possible it's just a little bit more methodical in it's eating and therefore slow to the draw. They usually come out begging for food and this one is not which is a little off.

I started to ask about general cure so I'm glad you mentioned it. Is there any reason not to treat the whole tank in this case?
If no coral and inverts, you can. Prazi safe but not always metro

OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone that chimed in. I have some general cure on the way and will start with that. I know an air stone was mentioned and I'll add one during treatment.

I'll try feeding once more before going through with the treatment.

One last question, the nitrates are a little high at 40ppm. Should I do a water change first to lower some?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back