Treating zoa-pox?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. So I have a zoa garden and it’s been growing like crazy but over the past week or two zoapox has been spreading and it’s killed over half of them now. All of the research I’m doing leads me to out of date information because the one product I see recommended is furan 2 which is discontinued. I can’t find it anywhere. Are there any alternatives to furan 2 that are easier to find?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Use a cup of saltwater and mix one packet of Furan 2.by API AND place zoa in a container small enough to insure that the colony is submersed and dip in that solution
In a similar container with tank water, rinse/agitate it and return to the display tank

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a cup of saltwater and mix one packet of Furan 2.by API AND place zoa in a container small enough to insure that the colony is submersed and dip in that solution
In a similar container with tank water, rinse/agitate it and return to the display tank
Unfortunately furan 2 is discontinued. Some people have tried chemi-clean as an alternative. not sure how that's worked out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately furan 2 is discontinued. Some people have tried chemi-clean as an alternative. not sure how that's worked out
Available on Ebay

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could use one of these:

Someone told me that the bifuran+ has been out of stock for a while now.

Maybe here: https://www.bbsave.com/p157a191/hikari-bifuran

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I’m striking out on finding any sort of medication. No one sells Furan 2 anymore as far as i can tell. They’re all either out of stock or discontinued. I did try eBay but all i found was someone selling baggies of the stuff which I don’t trust. The pox are killing off my zoas so I’m willing to try something drastic at this point. My LFS suggested I dip the rock in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes. I tried it yesterday and I’m pretty sure I killed off another half of the zoas I had left. I’ll see if they open up today. Either way, I’m crossing my fingers it was enough to kill the pox though and hope they will recover from here.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You can try using chemi-clean as either a dip or by treating the whole system. Unfortunately, there aren't any good apparent alternatives known to treat pox at the moment. I've used chemi-clean to resolve a few bacterial issues this summer.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could use one of these:

Someone told me that the bifuran+ has been out of stock for a while now.

Maybe here: https://www.bbsave.com/p157a191/hikari-bifuran
this looks promising

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you have not done it yet, call every store as far away as you are willing to drive. I did this and one store had an old box I bought. It took close to 10 stores, but I found it.

update: for $70 including shipping I found a box on facebook marketplace. I guess it depends on how much your zoas are worth

update: I decided to call and check because I might want some even with the cost. They don't have it.

Last edited:

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Also, if you have not done it yet, call every store as far away as you are willing to drive. I did this and one store had an old box I bought. It took close to 10 stores, but I found it.

update: for $70 including shipping I found a box on facebook marketplace. I guess it depends on how much your zoas are worth

I need to quit growing zoas and get into the fish medication business lol.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I should update this thread since I’m on the other side of this now.

before:
B08D5DF2-50A3-4260-9BC8-49677314B54C.jpeg

after:
7CF2819F-24BE-449C-B4FF-83B225474A2A.jpeg
Between the pox and dipping in harsh dips like peroxide I ended up losing all but a few of my eagle eyes, a lot of the orange / purple ones in the top corner and a few of the pink ones top center. There are enough left over and luckily I was able to frag some before it happened so it should grow back quick.

Overall, dips didn’t do too much. I tried chemi clean and peroxide. The peroxide dip actually made things a lot worse killing some healthy zoas. I did a 50/50 peroxide tank water dip for about three minutes. I suspect the ones that died from the dip were already on their way out and weren’t showing as much as the rest of them.

I started blowing off any debri and dead flesh with a turkey baster daily which definitely slowed the spread.

I also noticed that out of all the zoas that were affected the orange ones on the front corner continued to spread. Those are pretty new to my tank and I really liked them so to encourage them to grow I was feeding them extra. I figured that might be why they were doing better so I tried feeding all of my zoanthids more often and the pox eventually cleared up. I run a low nutrient system and I think there’s definitely something to zoas needing extra nutrients in the water. That’s probably why my sps were doing great but my zoas were melting away. I’ve upped my phosphate levels by using less phosguard along with feeding more and I’m starting to see some baby zoa heads bouncing back.

thanks for all the help and suggestions folks!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back