Treatment for Hole-in-the-head

SHMG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello members,

Could any of you advise me what to treat my “red mouth cichlid’s” hole-in the-head?
I looked online, and feel perplexed afterwards. I still don’t know what to treat it with.These are what I gather from the online articles:
1–Remove carbon filter.
2–Change 90% of water.
3–Add Selcon (?) to the diet
4–Add algae to his diet (but he does not eat algae wafers)

It’s said that HITH has been studied insufficient and so there are no definitive causes and treatments for it!

A little history of my fish: I bought 2 of these orange cichlids over 15 years ago. At that time, I had limited knowledge of fish keeping, and was afraid to kill one of the 2 when I saw the hole in fish. So I tried API most popular meds, Melafix , and Pimafix without success during which period other tank mates died! I had to stop the treatment. After several years, the fish died , I am now left with this only cichlid.

Could you advise what I can do beyond what I listed above? Do you think doing all those will suffice? I have not looked up what Selcon is.

Thank you!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon is a vitamin additive for fish food. You soak the food in the Selcon for a few minutes prior to feeding.
Although not confirmed, an improper/unbalanced diet is said to play a large part in Hole in the Head disease

OP
OP
S

SHMG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ndrwatrr,
Thank you for your prompt reply! I checked Selcon out, and found that it’s for saltwater fish? A lot of people raising marine fish has talked about it.
I am still looking for a relatively good deal , if it’s useable for freshwater fish. Did you use it before or have you heard from anyone in the forum talking about where to get a good deal? It seems so expensive! The highest price I have seen till now is $25 for a mere 4oz bottle! Amazon has it for about $15; but If it’s good, I want to feed my cichlid all year round to end the HITH once for all.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ndrwatrr,
Thank you for your prompt reply! I checked Selcon out, and found that it’s for saltwater fish? A lot of people raising marine fish has talked about it.
I am still looking for a relatively good deal , if it’s useable for freshwater fish. Did you use it before or have you heard from anyone in the forum talking about where to get a good deal? It seems so expensive! The highest price I have seen till now is $25 for a mere 4oz bottle! Amazon has it for about $15; but If it’s good, I want to feed my cichlid all year round to end the HITH once for all.
Yes you can use it for Freshwater fish. It is a bit expensive, but nothing in this hobby is cheap unfortunately.
Amazon seems like a decent deal, but as your local fish store if they have it. Chances are, they do.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 91 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 94 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.8%
Back