Treatment recommendations-go!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a flame wrasse that I am planning to treat with metro+ via gelatin based prepared food. He has had white, stringy poop. I've also administered one dose of praziquantel (preventative) and will be dosing another in a couple of days.

So this morning, doing my rounds I noticed he has a bit of white above his eye. My guesses, it could be maybe lympho or some sort of bacterial/fungal infection? Or maybe he bumped himself, I don't know. It's hard to get a good picture but it looks like two white bumps...but not specks like ich. I have kanaplex and am considerin adding it to the medicated food I am making today. Good idea, bad idea? What says you?
@Brew12 @Humblefish @melypr1985
6402f8e70553565def7cab511be9f730.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like an injury to me than ich.

I might recommend you observe but kanaplex probably cannot hurt-- but to my knowledge it is best dosed in to the water rather than consumed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep an eye on it for now. If you have kanaplex, hold it in reserve. It is best dosed in the water instead of the food.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys/gals! I'd never make it through QT without you [emoji23]

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can someone help me make sense of these directions? I'm doing the gelatin prep method.

http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/medicated-feed/

So far I've got 1oz crushed food, 3oz of gelatin and 1 tablespoon of metro+ mixed in a container. I've got a pint of RO water sitting in a pot ready to heat up. The rest of the directions sound a little screwy to me...I think maybe the write-up is flawed or I'm missing something. Why would I have to measure out 2-3 oz of dry mixture??? should that maybe be 2-3oz water, stir until dry ingredients are wet and then add another 2-3oz of water?

Or am I really supposed to measure out 2-3oz of the dry ingredients, dump them in the pint of hot water, and then add another 2-3oz hot water?? That sounds off to me...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your third photo, the fish appears to be "yawning"? Is this something he has been doing a lot? If so, that is one symptom of gill flukes.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your third photo, the fish appears to be "yawning"? Is this something he has been doing a lot? If so, that is one symptom of gill flukes.

Yea, it's a recently transitioning male (purchased female) he's been flashing a bit too and usually does the yawn thing when he displays his fins. Shouldn't the prazi have helped with that? I gave the first dose Sunday night, I was going to give the second one either tomorrow or Saturday...

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up adding the water into the dry ingredients a little at a time while stirring until it seemed like the right consistency. Didn't use the entire pint-only about half, maybe a bit more than half. I can't imagine it would have worked had I used the entire pint. It would have been really watery. I *think* it worked out ok.

This fish is determined to be the bane of my existence though- lucky for him he's also my favorite.
He's in QT with two other wrasses...one being a leopard wrasse...and he's the only one who won't eat the medicated food [emoji19]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it's a recently transitioning male (purchased female) he's been flashing a bit too and usually does the yawn thing when he displays his fins. Shouldn't the prazi have helped with that? I gave the first dose Sunday night, I was going to give the second one either tomorrow or Saturday...

It should, unless he has prazi resistant flukes. You'll know if he keeps yawning, flashing following the second round of prazi.

@evolved @eatbreakfast Is yawning natural behavior for wrasses when they display?

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's prazi-resistant flukes...what would get rid of it?

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't u just keep it well feed and see how it does looks pretty healthy from pic

Oh it's healthy, I just want to try to get rid of all the parasites this time around. We've done the "feed well/immunity" thing in the past (other tanks) and it always seems to backfire eventually :/

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would a sensitivity to prazi look like? I did the second dose yesterday morning and now those bumps are back. I feel like they show up after prazi doses like clockwork, and then go away after I put the carbon back in... and this time he has a few faint marks on his head by his dorsal fin. Too faint to catch on my phone camera, they look like "scuff" marks.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other two wrasses have no physical symptoms, all three are still eating and swimming and otherwise behaving fine. The only other sign that something might be bothering them..all three have flashed against the edge of the Tupperware or rocks. But, its infrequent...I've seen the leopard do it maybe twice and the other two once each. They've been in QT for almost 3 weeks now, I feel like if it was something more serious (ich,velvet) I should have seen more concerning behavior or symptoms by now?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other two wrasses have no physical symptoms, all three are still eating and swimming and otherwise behaving fine. The only other sign that something might be bothering them..all three have flashed against the edge of the Tupperware or rocks. But, its infrequent...I've seen the leopard do it maybe twice and the other two once each. They've been in QT for almost 3 weeks now, I feel like if it was something more serious (ich,velvet) I should have seen more concerning behavior or symptoms by now?

When they rub against something, are they targeting the gill area or somewhere else?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back