Trick to Getting Coral Coloration?

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reefing hobby for almost two years now. I’ve been maintaining the same all in one nano system the entire time. Although it’s been fun, I’ve lost interest to be quite frank. I’ve always looked up to these large show tanks with enough money invested to purchase cars. Although I realize that level of reef aquarium takes lots of time and work, I’d like to improve my current reef at least somewhat. The main issue is lighting. Up until now I’ve always had stock lighting on a timer that ran 100% whites and 100% blues for around 8 hours per day, then would ramp down to just 1% blues for the rest of the time. I’ve left the lighting as is for the past 2 years and am unhappy with the white natural look. I just recently bought a stronger LED light system that has controllable spectrums. Problem is I have no idea how to set up the new lighting. I read about how to achieve the nice coral colors, you need something around 20% whites and 80% blues. I am still unsure how to schedule the lights. Do I leave the 80% blues 20% whites on for 8 hours, and then turn off the lights completely for the rest of the day? Is it okay for the fish to be under mostly just blue light? I don’t have any facts but I’m wondering if deep blue lights would affect their eyesight when eating and etc. What I’m needing help from here is to create a light schedule where my corals look the most visually appealing, such as drewslagoon for example. I’ve tried seeing videos before but they just confuse me. Thanks for all the help! -Rob

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What make and model light do you have?
People with the same model or at least same make can share their settings.

Im currently testing out a light relatively new to the market. It’s called the Nicrew Hyperreef LED. I got it in the 30 watt variety because my reef is small. I found this light on Amazon for roughly $70. I’m not expecting the same quality as radions or kessils, but it should be a decent light. Research wise not much can be found about this light except for Amazon reviews and those seem relatively positive.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck would have personally went with a $200.00 AI -prim for that tank set up let us know updates
on how the light works

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I see, in this case I can only call on my experience with the older 2 channel maxspect.
I ramp up from nothing to about 45% white and 80% blue at about 6" above the water. have this intensity for about 3 hours, then slowly ramp back down.

What coral do you have?

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck would have personally went with a $200.00 AI -prim for that tank set up let us know updates
on how the light works

I considered the AI for this nano tank. Thing is I plan on upgrading this aquarium. Several months ago I bought a rimless 200 gallon tank and I had my heart set on getting radions for it. The AI would’ve just costed me extra money and regardless it would’ve had no use for me in the long run.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I see, in this case I can only call on my experience with the older 2 channel maxspect.
I ramp up from nothing to about 45% white and 80% blue at about 6" above the water. have this intensity for about 3 hours, then slowly ramp back down.

What coral do you have?

interesting. Did you find this lighting spectrums visually appealing on the coral? I currently only have a leather, toadstool, and a radioactive neon green trumpet coral. I’d like to get more corals such as a zoa garden, torch coral, and acans. Although I’m pretty certain this light won’t be able to grow any sps, I’d really like to try my like growing montipora plates. That would be the first and only sps I’ve ever tried keeping

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's pretty nice. I'm not really looking at the tank during its peak as it's between midday and like 3pm when I'm working and the corals seem okay when I'm not messing with the alk levels :rolleyes:
20201108_160938.jpg

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's pretty nice. I'm not really looking at the tank during its peak as it's between midday and like 3pm when I'm working and the corals seem okay when I'm not messing with the alk levels :rolleyes:
20201108_160938.jpg

Just WOW. That tank is absolutely stunning. Very very beautiful. You’ve even managed to grow a gsp wall! You’ve achieved all this with the maxspect?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back