Lighting Schedule

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

Let’s talk lighting, now I’ve been told the less red light reflecting in the tank will mean less algae is this true?

I tend to have it on full daylight from around 0730am to around 19.30pm and then will dim it so it’s blue settling in for the night it then goes off around 10.30pm….

I don’t have any coral yet but I am looking at SPS as have quite a strong current running through it using the reef flow 2.0 and lots of light..

How much light is too much?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

Let’s talk lighting, now I’ve been told the less red light reflecting in the tank will mean less algae is this true?

I tend to have it on full daylight from around 0730am to around 19.30pm and then will dim it so it’s blue settling in for the night it then goes off around 10.30pm….

I don’t have any coral yet but I am looking at SPS as have quite a strong current running through it using the reef flow 2.0 and lots of light..

How much light is too much?
Without a par meter and the type of coral or invert in question it will be hard to answer. Some softies barely need any light at all, sps needing in the hundreds, while some carpet nems have been kept in the thousands.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are on a total of 12 hours with 4 hours at max. Rest is ramp up and down.
Yea I forget that I run all acro systems and have found the 7-8 hrs at peak best for acro dominant systems.
Not sure why you would want a 4hr ramp at both ends though.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I forget that I run all acro systems and have found the 7-8 hrs at peak best for acro dominant systems.
Not sure why you would want a 4hr ramp at both ends though.
I try to get a full day's light as would be in nature. Just trying to mimic the regular sun schedule.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back