Trick to kill the aiptasia?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a filefish once. I never saw it eat anything other than my zoas. I have heard that there are no guarantees with them. Some will eat aiptasia and some won't. I wasn't going to give it a second shot. EVERY setup I've had, I have been able to stay aiptasia free, even after having thousands of them...by using vinegar and a copperband butterfly. I have taken in free rock that was covered with aiptasia, and it's always been killed off. I currently have a 125g display (about 245g system volume) and a 150g stock tank, and not a single aiptasia.
If you are aptaisia free then why do you have to keep injecting them. I guess you start a new tank after every treatment? Again, no one said it didn't work for YOU!!! Just like file fish have worked for others. Good grief. Why don't you provide some scientific research about your method? It's not a big deal, inject what you want and enjoy the hobby. Simple.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and I heard a lfs tell a person that a figure 8 puffer would go great with mollies too. I'd love to hear some proof that an aiptasia bloom was cause by vinegar. It did get dark that night, right? Maybe that's what caused it. You're simply tying together two things that are likely not even related. THAT is what I'd call irresponsible. I am still waiting on an explanation of how you think aiptasia or spores can survive with a ph of about 2.2. It is a coral. What coral can survive that ph?
If you couldn't get my point then it's useless trying to have a logical discussion with you. You want to be nothing but sarcastic and argumentative and I have no time for that. You can disagree with my approach I can disagree with yours. Fortunately people can read through threads and try what they think is best.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to engloid nothing works other than vinegar. We're all wrong! Lol. Peppermint shrimp, file fish, natural predators work great and proven. If only we knew about vinegar.......
I tried aiptasia x. Made it worse. The peppermint shrimp made quick work of it also. Plus if any other pop up, their toast. When their are no Aiptasia to eat they like Reef Flakes. Easy to care for.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mixed results with aiptasiax. On one hand it's fulfilling to watch them explode. One the other hand, it seems to make the problem worse sometimes. In fact, it can sometimes seem to help them mass propagate.

I had an amazing CBB that cleaned my tank out of aiptasia in about two weeks, sadly after that he went to town on my wellso, acans, and clam.

Nudis seem the safest bet if you have any lps or clams. Keep an eye out for a sale on salty underground.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you couldn't get my point then it's useless trying to have a logical discussion with you. You want to be nothing but sarcastic and argumentative and I have no time for that. You can disagree with my approach I can disagree with yours. Fortunately people can read through threads and try what they think is best.
My advice is that next time you want to dispute somebody's experience, don't do exactly what you're accusing me of above.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is that next time you want to dispute somebody's experience, don't do exactly what you're accusing me of above.
Maybe one day you'll realize there's many ways to reef and others can give advice and opinions of there own. I never said your way didn't work, again as I repeat myself for you. You state your method is full proof and I say there's always risks when injecting anything into aptaisia. Agree to disagree sir. Inject away.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hearty second to the File Fish I have used bergia with success but they rarely get them all before dying out. I recently tried an ORA aiptasia eating File Fish. Didn't think it was going to be able to do much because of a pesky Splendid Dottyback that was a little too aggressive. I had about 6 aiptasia and somehow he got by the Dottyback because I can't find any now. Sweet because he sticks around.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having good success with the Laser method of burning them out and not having a continued problem ??

Yes I had success with a laser as long as you can see the mouth part and hit that area first then you're burning the mouth and stopping it from releasing its spores. I then finished off the last one that was growing in an organ pipe coral.with a Lysmata wurdemanni peppermint shrimp and that was well over 2 years ago and I've remained clear of them since.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following up on this thread! That's awesome he knocked them all out and you were able to pass him on! Good file fish!

Well, nothing really gets them all. I'm sure spores were released. Good predators no not eradicate their prey species. I would think you need to keep your Filefish.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanos guys.

Thanos is no match for aiptasia.

upload_2019-4-23_21-5-20.gif

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used peppermint shrimp to get rid of aptasia in my tank. At first I would take the rock out and put a butane torch lighter and burn them off a rock when I had seen one. Then just got some peppermints for them check the tank I can't see or get to where the aptasia may be growing.

80sixx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a Aiptasia eating filefish, but there's not guarantee that they would eat them. My preferred method is peppermint shrimp but like you said, no sissies in your tank. I've also taken epoxy stick and buried those suckers under it and that's worked very well for me.
I just got my first Aiptasia and I was thinking about using peppermint shrimp, how many shrimp would you recommend for a 10gal reef tank that has one clown fish living in it ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back