Tricolor Anthias eye issue

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a few tricolor anthias and they are currently in QT for observation.

IMG_20181229_200745.jpg

Any idea what this could be on its eye?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try epsom salt or you can treat in QT with neoplex for 10 days.

This can be caused by flukes as well. What kind of treatment has this fish been through?

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try epsom salt or you can treat in QT with neoplex for 10 days.

This can be caused by flukes as well. What kind of treatment has this fish been through?
No treatment yet. Just picked them up yesterday. I have 7 total in the QT, I'm assuming I should treat them all? This is the only one I notice any issues with so far.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a freshwater dip, add neoplex and epsom salt for swelling. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a freshwater dip, add neoplex and epsom salt for swelling. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

I don't have neoplex, but I can pick some up tomorrow. I do have kanaplex that lists popeye. Would you recommend this or waiting and adding the neoplex?

I was just reading your 500g build thread. Very jealous!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have neoplex, but I can pick some up tomorrow. I do have kanaplex that lists popeye. Would you recommend this or waiting and adding the neoplex?

You can use Kanaplex + Neoplex. I know Kanaplex lists Popeye. If it's being caused by a bacterial infection it would likely work. If it is being caused by flukes then it's likely if you get rid of the flukes it will go away.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What @HotRocks said and thanks very much. I can’t believe it’s real! :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are quite susceptible to popeye (basslets too). By ‘tricolor’, do you mean redband? If so, I had a group a while back and three of the seven developed popeye. I don’t doubt that the treatments suggested above are fine, but I’m always inclined to let it heal naturally - particularly for recently acquired fish still acclimating in QT. Cannot hurt to add some Epsom salts I suppose, but popeye usually clears up on its own. Now if it appears to be spreading to the other fish, it could be flukes and that’s a problem. Probably isn’t though. Of the dozen or so anthias I’ve had over the years with popeye, they all recovered. One ended up losing its eye, but still did fine. I’ve had plenty of other things kill anthias, just never popeye.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are quite susceptible to popeye (basslets too). By ‘tricolor’, do you mean redband? If so, I had a group a while back and three of the seven developed popeye. I don’t doubt that the treatments suggested above are fine, but I’m always inclined to let it heal naturally - particularly for recently acquired fish still acclimating in QT. Cannot hurt to add some Epsom salts I suppose, but popeye usually clears up on its own. Now if it appears to be spreading to the other fish, it could be flukes and that’s a problem. Probably isn’t though. Of the dozen or so anthias I’ve had over the years with popeye, they all recovered. One ended up losing its eye, but still did fine. I’ve had plenty of other things kill anthias, just never popeye.

Not nearly experienced enough to know for sure what they are. Here are a couple of pictures of the group I have:
IMG_20181228_170558 (1).jpg

IMG_20181229_133207.jpg

I've added epsom salt, but not sure if I should add the kanaplex I have or wait until I get the nanoplex tomorrow, or do a freshwater dip.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nearly experienced enough to know for sure what they are. Here are a couple of pictures of the group I have:

IMG_20181229_133207.jpg

I've added epsom salt, but not sure if I should add the kanaplex I have or wait until I get the nanoplex tomorrow, or do a freshwater dip.
I would leave it at the epsom salt. Dip the one with swollen eye to see if flukes are present. If they are you will need to knock out the flukes with general cure or Prazipro.

If flukes are the cause they need eliminated first. If not I would preceed with neoplex.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nearly experienced enough to know for sure what they are. Here are a couple of pictures of the group I have. I've added epsom salt, but not sure if I should add the kanaplex I have or wait until I get the nanoplex tomorrow, or do a freshwater dip.

Newly shipped anthias will lose much of their color initially; so it can be quite difficult to tell. I’d be inclined to say you have dispar or ignitus, but they certainly could be tricolor females. That really looks like pretty standard anthias popeye to me, so if it were me I’d just see what effect the Epsom salts have. Are they eating? Feed them as much as they will eat.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all eating. I'll check them again tomorrow and pick up some neoplex. I have both general cure and prazipro, if needed. Thanks all for the help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20181229_133207.jpg

Those look very similar to a group of five that I recently added to my display tank ... and mine look very similar to Pseudanthias marcia, from the Gulf of Oman and the western shores of India (and by "very similar", I mean "I call mine P. marcia"). Take a look at that species, and see what you think. They're not at all a common species in the hobby, but seem to have been coming in lately. I'm also seeing images labeled Pseudanthias kashiwe that look very similar to your photos.

I rather like mine a lot, they're boisterous but not overtly aggressive, and as resilient as one could hope for in an anthias; they'll eat anything of appropriate size - and plenty of it, and they'll reward you with front-&-center activity and courtship displays.

~Bruce

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudanthias Marcia looks very similar to what I have and from what you say of their behavior as well. As mentioned above, I'm trying to feed them as much as they will eat, but they don't seem to quit!

I've added Epsom salt and a dose of neoplex. I'm going to monitor and hold off on the freshwater dip. I just don't think it's flukes and don't want to stress anymore than needed.

But I'm very new at this and open to any criticism.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back