Trident Owners Have you Mixed your Reagents and tried it?

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there it too much left over in the alk bottle , I have been running the refill task with the same bottle and wait till it runs off .
Here too. I saved extra for a bit but I worry about it.

if I did save extras, I would use it as soon as it was full so it sat around for less time...

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have left over Alk reagents, why can't you just tell the trident you put a new alk in to run the rest of the reagents out? Then just swap the empty one out again and tell the trident a new one was entered again. Is that possible?

If I generally have a good amount left, I do just prime it up like it was a new bottle. I run the minimum amount of tests so a quarter bottle would last a while. Most of the time though, the trident uses most of the reagents. However, do not calibrate the trident on a near empty bottle.

However, to those who think mixing an old bottle with a new bottle is a good idea, it probably isn't. Lot numbers on each reagent indicate when that batch was made. Some batches can read quite differently than other batches but the results will be precise. Even blood analyzers need to be calibrated upon a change of reagent lots and you would be surprised at how big the differences can be sometimes. If a batch goes bad, you can always trace it to a lot number but if you start mixing, it's going to be difficult to differentiate who caused inconsistencies.

Now if you mix it and there is a big difference between the two different bottles, the average between the two will be what's registered on the trident after you calibrate it. If you use un-mixed reagents later from the new lot, it's going to give you different numbers as soon as you switch out mainly due to the large difference between the two different lots. If your a lab type person you can figure this out and realize that you will need to recalibrate the trident again to fix the problem caused by the mixing and this is assuming you have some spare unused calibration solution bottles around. To an average person though this can send you for a wild ride.

My recommendation is don't mix old with new. Also don't mix old lots with old lots either. You'll run in to fewer problems.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think all are missing the point here. If the trident has been recalibrated with calibration fluid it shouldn’t even matter if lots are mixed. As long as fresh calibration fluid is used. I can’t see how this could be a problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back