Trident Reagents B & C Empty; Reagent A at 42%. What now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident is scheduled for the 4 test minimum that Apex allows, and somehow, I'm out of B & C when my (second) Reagent A is still at 42%. Is there a way to only replace B & C, or must I discard the nearly half bottle of A as well?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is usually some amount of your second bottle of A when B & C need replacing. It will vary depending on what your usual alkalinity levels are. Most people toss the remaining A and start fresh with a new box.

Can you replace b & C? Yes if you really want you can do that and reset b & C manually from the trident settings on fusion. I think most have decided why bother since you will keep having A left over and eventually have a stock pile of A which will go bad over time..

I will sometimes run an extra Alk test or two during the day when I am tinkering with dosing, knowing there is A to spare.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think something isn't right, I've had trident for a year and NEVER had that much 'A' left in bottle when 'B & C' where at 5%.....

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alk reading? The lower your alk reading the more reagent will be leftover. 7.6 dkh here. Nearly half the reagent left after 1 month of f testing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not quite that bad, but close. I’ve had my T since early on and have kept all the leftover reagent .... just to see. I have almost two full bottles of leftover A but only about half a bottle each of B and C. Was going to toss it, but with some uncertainty about the availability of new reagent moving forward I’m keeping it just in case.

U

User1

View Badges
I thought about this as well but couldn't that potentially damage the intake lines for B/C by allowing the reagent to dry in the line? IMO Neptune should sell A and B/C separately...

I'm not 100% positive of this but I would wager they are looking at reagents and their respected demand. People are testing a lot more than what their initial analysis showed. This means reagents are in higher demand and they can't push the Trident to other geographic locations (EMEA). This bit was discussed in their February live stream.

Even before the current world pandemic they said they are looking at the tests vs reagents vs markets.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% positive of this but I would wager they are looking at reagents and their respected demand. People are testing a lot more than what their initial analysis showed. This means reagents are in higher demand and they can't push the Trident to other geographic locations (EMEA). This bit was discussed in their February live stream.

Even before the current world pandemic they said they are looking at the tests vs reagents vs markets.

I think most people including myself are testing a lot more simply because we are having to readjust or fine tune our dosing.

What’s been an eye opener for me was seeing how much my Alk swings day/night as well as calcium.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let it run until it uses all reagent A. It still does the alk tests.

this is what I am doing now My B and C are finished and I have been letting Alk to be tested as per the normal schedule. However, something strange is happening.I keep getting the same result on any two consecutive tests. For an example I get 8.74 at 12 am test and also 8.74 at 6 am despite I dosed more alk at 12:30 am to bring it to 9 dkh. Before theI ran out of B and C this never happened.

Anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

also my reagent A was at 32% or something when the B and C ran out.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I replace each regent when trident tells me to. A never runs out at the same time as B and C. But B and C always run out at the same time. Why would you replace regent A unless trident tells you to... I run a Alk test at least a few extra times a week... on top of the schedule ones.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace each regent when trident tells me to. A never runs out at the same time as B and C. But B and C always run out at the same time. Why would you replace regent A unless trident tells you to... I run a Alk test at least a few extra times a week... on top of the schedule ones.

The issue is there is no instruction on Apex on how to replace reagent B and C only. They only have “replace reagent A” and “replace all reagents” instruction. So that mean, when reagent B and C are finished at the end of two months, you will need to replace reagent A as well.

care to share your Alk tests schedules?

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The issue is there is no instruction on Apex on how to replace reagent B and C only. They only have “replace reagent A” and “replace all reagents” instruction. So that mean, when reagent B and C are finished at the end of two months, you will need to replace reagent A as well.

I click on the word trident on my main apex screen. Then under reset I select the regent I am replacing. Hit the up load icon and done.
FBD8C733-E823-4665-82FA-5E612B6601C2.jpeg

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven’t had a issue doing this. You can replace each regent separately at any time. I run the standard Alk schedule. But I often run a extra Alk test before bed because my Alk usage has been increasing. I like to tinker with my dosing.

Last edited:

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok. Next time I will do this. I dumped by reagent A already. I had about 30% in it.

how about your Alk test schedule? Care to share?
It’s the standard.. 12 Pm, 6pm , 12am , 6am. But I’ve been running one at 9pm a lot also. Then I adjust my dosing if needed.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you're supposed to switch out A after switching out B&C. The calibration is different for each batch of reagents. What I like to do is run few extra tests with A manually.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Next time I will do this. I dumped by reagent A already. I had about 30% in it.

how about your Alk test schedule? Care to share?
Don’t replace A/B/C separately- that was bad advice. Every box of reagents comes with ONE bottle of calibration solution, which is used 24-48 hours after you replace A/B/C.

if you do not follow that schedule and keep your old bottle of “A”, you will not be able to calibrate for the new box of reagent’s “A”. Therefor once you put in the next bottle (1st A from the new reagent box), you will un-calibrated, low accuracy Alk readings. Replace everything at once.

(Note this is talking about the complete reagent change after 2 months, not just the A replacement that occurs after 1 month)

U

User1

View Badges
Don’t replace A/B/C separately- that was bad advice. Every box of reagents comes with ONE bottle of calibration solution, which is used 24-48 hours after you replace A/B/C.

if you do not follow that schedule and keep your old bottle of “A”, you will not be able to calibrate for the new box of reagent’s “A”. Therefor once you put in the next bottle (1st A from the new reagent box), you will un-calibrated, low accuracy Alk readings. Replace everything at once.

(Note this is talking about the complete reagent change after 2 months, not just the A replacement that occurs after 1 month)

To add to this - there are lot numbers on the reagent bottles. You want to keep everything in sync.

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to expand on this further.

What you are experiencing is normal to have that much Alk when Ca/Mg are empty. This reasoning is because some customers will have their Alk ranging from 7.5 to 12+. Customers with lower ranges of Alk will have more leftover of reagent A then a customer that have higher Alk readings. This is not set in stone but on average if you are running 7-9.5 then you will have > 50% & is you are running 9.5-12 then you will have < 50% of reagent A left over. (this excludes if you are not doing manual testing, etc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back