Trigger Mating Behavior?

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came downstairs this morning and while the lights weren't on, the tank does get a slight amount of sunlight. In that low amount of sunlight, I saw my two large crosshatch triggers were acting unusual, they were nearly completely sideways (parallel to the sand) but swimming next to each other very closely, touching. The male crosshatch's face was also what appeared to be white through the bulk of his body was still the gold-ish hue they are known for. Afterwards, the male swam off and the female started blowing sand in one area. While I was watching the female, the male circled back again and I got the video below albeit much briefer and not as pronounced as the first encounter. Is this mating behavior or just them being weird? :p FWIW, the female has been in open water more frequently today; however, she hasn't been "guarding" the little patch where she was blowing the sand this morning.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be certain, but it does have the look of behavior and color-change that a pair might use to bond or communicate.

I would expect triggers to spawn in the water column, rather than on substrate - but I'm in no way an expert in plectognath reproduction!

~Bruce, by way of subscribing to this thread - and hopefully learning something!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back