Trigger thoughts (compatibility)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male blue jaw trigger and a Sargassum Trigger (unknown sex) have had both a couple years, in separate tanks. Have been really debating the idea of tearing down the tank that the sargassum in in, and he's really a big factor as to why the tank is still running. Whats the general consensus on mixing these two together?? They are about the same size 4" or so, and the tank that would house them is a 200g marineland DD.

#reefsquad @eatbreakfast @4FordFamily

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you tagged all the right guys. Maybe @evolve can help as well

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved *

I honestly don't have a lot of experience mixing triggers or keeping them -- I've only kept humu, rectangulus, and niger triggers for any considerable amount of time. I kept a niger with a humu for awhile without issue but that's hardly relevant.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try placing the Sargassum Trigger in an AE box and see what the Blue Throat does. I believe the temperament of both are the same, usually mild mannered, but you never know how the Blue Throat would act with a new comer the same size and shape. At least the Blue Throat is the least, typically, aggressive of the 2. Will be cool in a 200 to have both in it.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a great acclimation box. I would bet they'd be fine. At least I know I can catch the blue jaw by hand if I need to.

The only issue is I think I won't have luck catching the Sargassum until I break down the tank he's in. So since his well being in my 200g is the basis for whether or not his tank will get broken down, I figured I'd get some more opinions.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic but I have a great acclimation box that is crystal clear and have tried this and the DT fish pay the fish in box no mind but when you add to the display Bam! There on him.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic but I have a great acclimation box that is crystal clear and have tried this and the DT fish pay the fish in box no mind but when you add to the display Bam! There on him.
Good point, i had a similar experience with my flame wrasse. Anthias paid no mind while he was in the box for a couple days, then when i let the flame out bam like you said.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved *

I honestly don't have a lot of experience mixing triggers or keeping them -- I've only kept humu, rectangulus, and niger triggers for any considerable amount of time. I kept a niger with a humu for awhile without issue but that's hardly relevant.
Uhhh, I've seen a trigger on the reef before...
Is there a trigger wrasse I should know about? :p

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh, I've seen a trigger on the reef before...
Is there a trigger wrasse I should know about? :p
Yup that's about right hahaha

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah just thought I should update this. I did try shortly after this thread and....

Even though the blue jaw was slightly larger and quite ticked off, the first couple days looked like failure. But day 3 the blue jaw let the sargassum come out a little to eat. Then a little more each day, and now they are fine. A little back and forth the first couple days but that was it! Very happy with both.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some natural daylight in the pic, excuse the dirty glass and frag rack. Want looking for a photo contest winner. Lol

15189831716501397017565.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice potters angel BTW. I'm considering a sargassum/red tail trigger as my last large fish.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for checking back in. Always good to read a success story. I just put a blue jaw in my QT system tonight.
They are very personable fish, I really like mine. He is somewhat irritating when it's time to feed corals, or my rock nems. Have to guard every thing.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice potters angel BTW. I'm considering a sargassum/red tail trigger as my last large fish.
Do it! Love the potter's Angel. got it from Jeromy at shoreline pet a long time ago. It's well behaved for the most part.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back