Trimming back very long lobo skeleton from new frag safe?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2019
Messages
4,198
Reaction score
11,328
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this lobo about a month ago. All is well with him but he has this very large skeleton (approximately 5" long).

I've heard this is how Australian divers like to split them because of higher success rates.

I know Australian lobos are a bit more sensitive than Indonesian. Am I safe to cut maybe half of this skeleton off?

Here he is in my qt frag tank.

1574922322839.png
 
Cutting the skeleton down should have zero impact on your lobo, best to use a water cooled bandsaw to avoid overheating the coral.. maybe see if your LFS has one and would do it for you?
 
I got this lobo about a month ago. All is well with him but he has this very large skeleton (approximately 5" long).

I've heard this is how Australian divers like to split them because of higher success rates.

I know Australian lobos are a bit more sensitive than Indonesian. Am I safe to cut maybe half of this skeleton off?

Here he is in my qt frag tank.

1574922322839.png

I'm in a similar boat and asked this question in the LPS forum as well with no answers. Did you ever do the trim on the bottom? Interested in what you found about the coral's tissue depth into that big hunk of skeleton.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new