Trimming gorgonian coral.

Euphyllia97

FOWLR and reef member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
1,536
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have this gorgonian coral which is getting too big and even growing out of the water. Can you just cut these corals at the top without harming them or is there any special technique?
 
Trim at base where it branches out
 
Trim at base where it branches out

May I ask if this is specific? I am considering trimming my Gorgonian (sp.).

Is there a reason behind cutting it at the base? 1 Of the branches is touching my glass and I would rather want to cut it halfway to keep the profile.

Thanks.
 
Should be ok cutting it halfway, when I bought mine at my lfs they just cut a frag from a branch in their display
 
Recommend pulling the coral out of the water (if possible)before trimming as some gorgonians (and other corals )could harm others from the injury, toxins and water quality. Cutting a softie even cleanly is different than snapping a twig, best to do outside the tank and rinse/ soak a bit prior to putting back in.
If not possible skim well
 
May I ask if this is specific? I am considering trimming my Gorgonian (sp.).

Is there a reason behind cutting it at the base? 1 Of the branches is touching my glass and I would rather want to cut it halfway to keep the profile.

Thanks.
For profile , you can do center. At the base if you want to remove or replant
 
I have a question about this also if you guys could help me out I would appreciate it. I got a yellow gorgorian from someone breaking down his tank and some of the branches look like they are dead at the tips. Should I cut those pieces off so the rest of the branch doesn't die or leave it alone and it will grow back over it? Thanks in advance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new