Trisodium Phosphate

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trisodium Phosphate [Na3PO4] 99.9% ACS Grade Crystals 8 Oz in a Space-Saver Bottle USA

is that the right stuff for phosphate dosing?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that will work, as will disodium phosphate and monosodium phosphate.

jmsalt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason to prefer monosodium phosphate over trisodium phosphate or vice versa for dosing phosphate?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not particularly. A solution of pure trisodium phosphate will be extremely basic (pH about 12), while a solution of monosodium phosphate will be nearly neutral. However, one generally is making this solution fairly dilute to provide a convenient dosing amount, so the effect on the pH of the aquarium will be negligible.

jmsalt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not particularly. A solution of pure trisodium phosphate will be extremely basic (pH about 12), while a solution of monosodium phosphate will be nearly neutral. However, one generally is making this solution fairly dilute to provide a convenient dosing amount, so the effect on the pH of the aquarium will be negligible.

Thanks!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work just fine. You got a grade with decent purity.

I dose trisodium phosphate. I mix 2 tablespoons into 1 gallon of RODI for my stock solution. I dose 2 tablespoons into my 300 gallon display. I have a really vigorous export system and I need to dose that much to have any phosphate reading the next morning.

For most situations, I would suggest starting at half or quarter of the dose I use and then measure and that is if you are starting with 0 phosphate with the Hanna ULR.

View Badges
How often to dose phosphates when you get them right We’re you want them.just don’t know that part .how long does the solution last till you have to dose again.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix it with RODI water! I just learned that today. Super cloudy mixed with tank water in a jar.
1.88 grams to 1/4 gallon or 1 liter of water for a solution that 1ml of per 26 tank gallons, raises po4 .01
Did you wait for the couldiness to go away or did you pour all of that into your tank and end up with a cloudy tank for a bit?

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work just fine. You got a grade with decent purity.

I dose trisodium phosphate. I mix 2 tablespoons into 1 gallon of RODI for my stock solution. I dose 2 tablespoons into my 300 gallon display. I have a really vigorous export system and I need to dose that much to have any phosphate reading the next morning.

For most situations, I would suggest starting at half or quarter of the dose I use and then measure and that is if you are starting with 0 phosphate with the Hanna ULR.
Do you just dose the whole gallon into the system? or slowly? how do you add it exactly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just dose the whole gallon into the system? or slowly? how do you add it exactly?

No.

His directions had an unfortunate coincidence (and lack of clarity) of the 2 tablespoons of dry powder to make the dosing solution itself, and what I think he meant was to also dose 2 tablespoons of the resulting dosing solution to the aquarium.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

His directions had an unfortunate coincidence (and lack of clarity) of the 2 tablespoons of dry powder to make the dosing solution itself, and what I think he meant was to also dose 2 tablespoons of the resulting dosing solution to the aquarium.
Exactly- and based on this confusion, I dosed the entire contents into my tank instead of taking 1ml at a time from the pre mixed solution of my 3 table spoons of DP in 250ml of rodi water.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSP is a paint thinner like cleaning solvent sold in the paint department of hardware stores. It is sold as a liquid, just did a Google search and it looks like they sell it as a powder also. I am sure "food grade" is guaranteed to be more pure.

d44f8a76-6235-4b51-9556-77464dc37259_1000.jpg.cf.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back