Triton Core 7 stock date?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish brs would justify the reasons why they think it’s best. Though they hitched their wagon to triton I apologize I just don’t see it. Their chemicals are the same as other companies

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish brs would justify the reasons why they think it’s best. Though they hitched their wagon to triton I apologize I just don’t see it. Their chemicals are the same as other companies

We will have to test the other additives to be sure. This is what we used and had success with on the BRS160. I appreciate that this is all Triton does, whereas ATI has a major focus on lights. It doesn't mean it's not a good solution, but if we can only have one, my preference is Triton - stocking issues aside. That doesn't mean this isn't up for further investigation, however.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will have to test the other additives to be sure. This is what we used and had success with on the BRS160. I appreciate that this is all Triton does, whereas ATI has a major focus on lights. It doesn't mean it's not a good solution, but if we can only have one, my preference is Triton - stocking issues aside. That doesn't mean this isn't up for further investigation, however.
Thanks a lot for the reply. If I analyze it my own opinion would be get a big refugium and use whatever chemicals and icp testing you want. I would appreciate a test. Btw do you think the brs 160 is doing better with triton or zeovit. And why

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the reply. If I analyze it my own opinion would be get a big refugium and use whatever chemicals and icp testing you want. I would appreciate a test. Btw do you think the brs 160 is doing better with triton or zeovit. And why

What you're talking about is a large reason why I'm enjoying the "tank trials" series they have going now.

As you know my "area is nems". Many folks looked at the recent tank trials trash with Triton and immediately thought "welp back to water changes". Somebody even said it here. I looked at it and said, "This is why we say wait and let your tank mature before adding an anemone." Call it the uglies, call it bacteria populating, call it what you want, there are things that happen in our tanks in their first 6-12 months of their life that we simply don't fully understand. If BRS can crash a tank packed full of corals in the first 6 months, that should be an eye opener to a lot of people in this hobby.

So while I understand it would be cool to see all of the different methods side by side and see how they shake out, I feel the longer term, 2 years on Zeo, then swap an established tank to 2 years on Triton...etc is a better representation of the product, then setting up new systems and testing them side by side. There are simply too many variable with a brand new system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you're talking about is a large reason why I'm enjoying the "tank trials" series they have going now.

As you know my "area is nems". Many folks looked at the recent tank trials trash with Triton and immediately thought "welp back to water changes". Somebody even said it here. I looked at it and said, "This is why we say wait and let your tank mature before adding an anemone." Call it the uglies, call it bacteria populating, call it what you want, there are things that happen in our tanks in their first 6-12 months of their life that we simply don't fully understand. If BRS can crash a tank packed full of corals in the first 6 months, that should be an eye opener to a lot of people in this hobby.

So while I understand it would be cool to see all of the different methods side by side and see how they shake out, I feel the longer term, 2 years on Zeo, then swap an established tank to 2 years on Triton...etc is a better representation of the product, then setting up new systems and testing them side by side. There are simply too many variable with a brand new system.

Couldn't agree more - BRS - though - concluded that the reason those tanks 'failed' was due to lack of water changes - and that water changes ensure better that parameters are stable in a "NEW" tank rather than waiting for an ICP test to tell you somethings wrong. That is the reason the poster said 'well its back to water changes'.

I actually don't think they can make that statement based on the experiment they did - but thats the statement they made.

Another problem is that these 'tests' are very difficult because of the expense and time required. For example - perhaps someone mis-dosed something in the tank that crashed (an d. they said that one tank had problems getting the refugium to grow), etc etc - anything could have happened. SO I dont know why they concluded that water changes are the best way to manage new tanks. To make a conclusion - it would be best to have say 5 tanks on triton,5 on water changes start then out with the same fish/coral/parameters and compare how they do. Again. I'm not suggesting that BRS do this - because it would cost a fortune.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more - BRS - though - concluded that the reason those tanks 'failed' was due to lack of water changes - and that water changes ensure better that parameters are stable in a "NEW" tank rather than waiting for an ICP test to tell you somethings wrong. That is the reason the poster said 'well its back to water changes'.
I actually don't think they can make that statement based on the experiment they did - but thats the statement they made.
Another problem is that these 'tests' are very difficult because of the expense and time required. For example - perhaps someone mis-dosed something in the tank that crashed (an d. they said that one tank had problems getting the refugium to grow), etc etc - anything could have happened. SO I dont know why they concluded that water changes are the best way to manage new tanks. To make a conclusion - it would be best to have say 5 tanks on triton,5 on water changes start then out with the same fish/coral/parameters and compare how they do. Again. I'm not suggesting that BRS do this - because it would cost a fortune.

I'm certain Ryan's message wasn't that the tanks failed because water changes weren't being done, but rather in the opener right about the 1:10min mark he mentions that the most valuable lesson was that, "many of the lessons you've learned from a multi-year stable tank just don't apply to a brand new tank." With that in mind, the conclusion was that there were a few factors that he thinks led to the demise which could have been attempting the refugium right off the bat that could have affected the natural cycle process; potentially some biological functions we just can't account for or quite understand completely that happen during the maturing of a new tank; and that there's just something about the approach of water changes on a brand new tank that simply produces success and shouldn't be discounted.

All in all, I don't think there's really a way that we can definitively point the finger at one thing or another for that "GOTCHA" cause to the failure, but we can drive on with the trials to learn from the mistakes. I also think there's high value in an experiment you detail, but as you nailed it on the head, it's WAY too expensive right now. :)

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certain Ryan's message wasn't that the tanks failed because water changes weren't being done, but rather in the opener right about the 1:10min mark he mentions that the most valuable lesson was that, "many of the lessons you've learned from a multi-year stable tank just don't apply to a brand new tank." With that in mind, the conclusion was that there were a few factors that he thinks led to the demise which could have been attempting the refugium right off the bat that could have affected the natural cycle process; potentially some biological functions we just can't account for or quite understand completely that happen during the maturing of a new tank; and that there's just something about the approach of water changes on a brand new tank that simply produces success and shouldn't be discounted.

All in all, I don't think there's really a way that we can definitively point the finger at one thing or another for that "GOTCHA" cause to the failure, but we can drive on with the trials to learn from the mistakes. I also think there's high value in an experiment you detail, but as you nailed it on the head, it's WAY too expensive right now. :)

The softie tank is amazing though [emoji106]

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Excellent response. Randy says in the mid 7 minute mark “I just don’t think there is a replacement for water changes in a new tank.” I think this may be where the quote the other poster and I were referring to

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has taken a wrong turn..oh well, I’m going to chime in regardless.

Having a new tank this is bringing up some concerns for me. I started with left over triton about a week ago and planned to implement 1 gallon auto water changes every day.

What are the thoughts on that?

Also, I would have thought that implementing a refugium right away would be good for water quality...are you saying no?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has taken a wrong turn..oh well, I’m going to chime in regardless.
Having a new tank this is bringing up some concerns for me. I started with left over triton about a week ago and planned to implement 1 gallon auto water changes every day.
What are the thoughts on that?
Also, I would have thought that implementing a refugium right away would be good for water quality...are you saying no?

Your tank plan sounds pretty close to the direction we're going on these tanks, minus the Triton. My main concern with trying to implement Triton dosing on a young tank is the lack of demand for major elements (Alk/Ca/Mg). In one of my Spotlight videos about the Triton Method I mention that starting on a new tank or one with a very low demand (Softy) may mean that you dose a very small amount daily or even every couple to a few days, because the demand just might not be there.

That said, there is absolutely undeniable merit to the benefits of a refugium as it relates to being the primary nutrient reduction method, specifically as we've seen on mature tanks like the BRS160 or even those across the reefing community. What Ryan and I discussed, specifically about the ULM tanks and a refugium from the outset, was that maybe it lowered or removed vital nutrients or things like ammonia that could have disrupted the natural progression in the tank cycling process which we've all seen and experienced before (leading to success down the road). Of course, at this point we have no way to test that idea/theory since what's done is done, but as hobbyists like everyone else we can really only make our best guess. :)

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, makes sense. I am dosing very small amounts, basically just enough to maintain alkalinity..which at the moment is about 12mL/day in a roughly 100 gallon system.

In regards to the refugium, I didn’t start that until after the tank had cycled.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I got lucky, but I've had next to no issues implementing Triton immediately post initial cycle on my tank aside from Cheato not doing well in the beginning. I've done monthly ICP with no major issues going on 8 months running. I've only done one water change post initial cycle so far. Started adding SPS at about the 3-4 month mark and only lost 1 SPS frag to date. I do need to supplement Iodine regularly and a bit of potassium but that's been about it.

0.00 nitrate has been the biggest challenge with my Triton journey so far. Heavy feeding just won't move the needle.

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back