Triton Detox

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed unique corals now sells the triton lineup, I didn't see their PURE salt, but maybe I missed it. Anyway they have a product, detox, that says to contain organics to bind heavy metals so carbon can export it. Any chemists have input on this? Before Randy says it, I know that without knowing exactly what it is you can't tell what all it will do, but best guess? I am wondering if it will remove tin. Also any guesses how it would compare to media that directly removes metals like metasorb or polyfilters? Metasorb doesn't list tin and a few other heavy metals as compounds it can remove.

Triton Detox 100ml - TRITON

MetaSorb UHC Ultra High Capacity Metals Adsorbing Polymer for Freshwater, Marine and Reef Aquariums - Home

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Detox is clearly a mix of some sort of soluble organic chelators that will bind the metals and, because they are partly hydrophobic, be skimmed out.

That's different than polymer resins since the polymers hold the metals in situ and are removed by removing the polymer beads or whatever form it takes.

My concern with all of these is how specific they might be for something that is high when others may be below NSW levels already (or will get there after binding and removal).

If I had elevated tin and depleted manganese, would it be desirable to add a generic removal product? I don't know.

Even using the Triton method and adding those depleted ones is fraught with issues since Triton cannot detect down to the NSW levels of many of the metals (iron, cobalt, and chromium, for example).

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Would the addition of something like detox decrease the metals that are higher concentration 1st just because there are more of them and they are more available?

The Detox is clearly a mix of some sort of soluble organic chelators that will bind the metals and, because they are partly hydrophobic, be skimmed out.

Clear to you maybe!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Would the addition of something like detox decrease the metals that are higher concentration 1st just because there are more of them and they are more available?

How much is bound is a combination of how much is there, and how strong the particular chelators bind each metal, which varies a lot metal to metal.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With feeding and dosing do you feel there is a real threat of depleting elements with detox to a level the reef suffers or will other inputs maintain enough of a concentration for basic health? I know you can't give a specific answer, but wouldn't there be reports of pretty nasty tank effects?

Thanks for the chemistry! Us micro folks stick to carbon dosing questions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many tanks depleted in some trace metals and elevated in others, even before Detox. So you might be able to supplement the low ones and deplete everything, but since the testing isn't always up to the task of maintaining natural levels, I don't know how one determines how much to add.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds like basically the same deal as Cuprisorb...

If you are having coral death and you suspect or have tested for metal presence at toxic levels then use one of these products since depleting another trace element is probably not as large a risk as leaving the current poison at its elevated level in your system.

That is what I am doing with cuprisorb currently... using it to deal with a suspected metal issue, and dealing with depleted elements through the use of a calcium reactor and water changes.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips of sps kept getting algae with high chromium and cobalt on triton test

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know how much cobalt or chromium is dangerous? I've never seen useful data on tox levels of most trace elements. There are many forms of these, some of which are more toxic than others.

Detox will likely work on these, but if you do not remove the source, it may be an ongoing issue.

Are there any metal parts in the water, or rusting above it?

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any metal parts in the water, or rusting above it?

Randy, I have a Tunze 9004 with rusting magnets (or rather, something around the magnets - it seems the magnets themselves are fine).
I'm obviously not expecting you to know specifics of the product, but is rusting in general a problem in reef tanks?

yyPCzgDm.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I have a Tunze 9004 with rusting magnets (or rather, something around the magnets - it seems the magnets themselves are fine).
I'm obviously not expecting you to know specifics of the product, but is rusting in general a problem in reef tanks?

yyPCzgDm.jpg

The iron of rust is not a concern. Other metals being released might be, but if you don't see a problem from tank inhabitants I wouldn't overly worry about it. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back