Triton ICP: red for Li, Si, Yellow for Br, I, K

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank at present seems to be doing well (mixed reef, 170 gal, converted from FOWLR in August 2022) with current Trident parameters: pH 8.1-8.25, Salinity 35-35.5, Alk 8.3-8.9, Ca 430-450, Mg 1415, Temp 78F. Since March I have changed from BRS 2 part to the BRS Hybrid 3 part (adding TM Elements A + B plus TM Part C), using approx 100 mL per day of all 3 (Trident controlled dosing by Alk).

I sent in an ICP to get a snapshot of how things are looking now and a "baseline all seems OK" snapshot. Currently no nuisance algae (I did succumb and used Chemiclean 6 weeks before this ICP for a persistent green cyano and it's all gone now - and did a 50 + 25 gal water change several weeks before the ICP).

Here's what I see from my Triton labs ICP - I put it in a spreadsheet and sorted by warning then alphabetically to make it easier to see:

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 3.27.23 PM.png

My RO DI has had a (very much overdue) change in filters in January, TDS = 0 currently. I have not yet done an ICP on the RO/DI water.

Not sure where the Lithium and Silicon are coming from unless it was from the old depleted RODI filters before January. I am running some Seachem Matrix to keep a bacterial culture for any emergency QT tank so I wonder if some Silicon can come from there. Not seeing a lot of diatoms, there are more yellowish sponges showing on the rocks nowadays.

Overall, assuming the Li and Si aren't a biological issue, I thought this looks pretty good to my very untrained eye. I could consider replenishing those yellow elements (Br, I, K).

Suggestions/thoughts anyone?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow highlighted elements are close enough to the Target range, that they might actually be in the ideal range, given test error. So I certainly would worry about those.
Lithium is a contaminant in salts, and is not that uncommon for it to be elevated. I don't think the levels you see have been connected to problems. But you might want another opinion on that.
Silica being at that level is only a problem if you have uncontrollable diatom growth. Most people, this ends up not being a problem. Diatoms are good food for many things and aren't generally a concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow highlighted elements are close enough to the Target range, that they might actually be in the ideal range, given test error.

Agreed. I also have never seen evidence that 72 ppm bromide is any sort of concern, even if it is exactly correct.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably work on getting Potassium to 400 but other than that looks good to me.

I agree. That would be my assessment as well.

Iodine dosing would also be a fine experiment, but I had similar values and didn't notice a difference with dosing, despite the fact that many folks do think dosing is useful for them.

OP
OP
C

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I may try for K replacement. I tried searching for a DIY Kcl recipe here but found only one recipe. Other threads were discussing ph probe solutions.

any additional comments on the linked recipe below? Quoted his recipe below to save a click:

Thread 'Check my math - DIY KCl dosing'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/check-my-math-diy-kcl-dosing.952931/

—— Quote ——
I want to dose some Potassium Chloride. I ordered 227 grams from LoudWolf and mixed 150 grams of it into 850 mL water for a stock solution concentration of 78.67 grams of K in 850 mL for 92.55 mg K / mL
——- End quote ———-

Thread 'Check my math - DIY KCl dosing'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/check-my-math-diy-kcl-dosing.952931/

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back