Triton ICP test results

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone look at results and tell me what you think I really need to work on. Biggest thing I see is the Chromium - supposed to be 0 and my value was a 11. But any ideas as to what would elevate this?

Didn’t see anything else of major concern, other than I need to step up my water changes. I currently do 1 gallon per day daily automatic water changes using my DOS but that doesn’t seem to be enough. I’ve had some Dino issues as well but that seems to be cleared up.

My system is a 50 gallon Red Sea e-170. Have a few SPS, couple of torches, some blasto, zoas, and a couple montis and chalice. I’m currently Using the skimmer that came with it. I run carbon to GFO media reactors. I use 1 pump and run the carbon and GFO in series. My Alkatronic/Dosetronic controls my alk at 9.2 using Tropic Marin “All for Reef”.

Other tests:
nitrates - 20ppm
Salinity - 35
Temp - 79
Ph - 8.0-8.15 using co2 scrubber on skimmer

I used to dose NoPox and Algaebarn Phyto but I cut everything out except the Alkalinity control.

Anyways, so take a look and let me know if you see anything I should be concerned with that I havent mentioned.

Thanks,
Dale

1E430C57-0260-4D06-9BC8-9B36B115764A.png 6028B985-DA6E-4F5A-B616-DD7262EB39FB.png BDABB328-9740-4980-AFDB-7FD7E6B37A10.png

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone look at results and tell me what you think I really need to work on. Biggest thing I see is the Chromium - supposed to be 0 and my value was a 11. But any ideas as to what would elevate this?

Didn’t see anything else of major concern, other than I need to step up my water changes. I currently do 1 gallon per day daily automatic water changes using my DOS but that doesn’t seem to be enough. I’ve had some Dino issues as well but that seems to be cleared up.

My system is a 50 gallon Red Sea e-170. Have a few SPS, couple of torches, some blasto, zoas, and a couple montis and chalice. I’m currently Using the skimmer that came with it. I run carbon to GFO media reactors. I use 1 pump and run the carbon and GFO in series. My Alkatronic/Dosetronic controls my alk at 9.2 using Tropic Marin “All for Reef”.

Other tests:
nitrates - 20ppm
Salinity - 35
Temp - 79
Ph - 8.0-8.15 using co2 scrubber on skimmer

I used to dose NoPox and Algaebarn Phyto but I cut everything out except the Alkalinity control.

Anyways, so take a look and let me know if you see anything I should be concerned with that I havent mentioned.

Thanks,
Dale

1E430C57-0260-4D06-9BC8-9B36B115764A.png 6028B985-DA6E-4F5A-B616-DD7262EB39FB.png BDABB328-9740-4980-AFDB-7FD7E6B37A10.png
If it’s yellow, it’s okay but can do better, if it’s red I’d fix it ASAP. So it looks like Cr as you mentioned, and PO4. I’ve got mine coming in soon so I’ll be with you there. I would just google or search up how to reduce Cr levels in my reef tank, or something like that

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading thru several threads and looking up my water source, I think I have figured out a potential reason and solution for the elevated chromium.

someone had posted some testing results from running their ro/di system above the recommended pressure >60 psi. Once they reduced this pressure to 60 he said his chromium results improved drastically. My ro/di runs between 90-100psi, I know I have ridiculous pressure for city water.

I decided to look up my city water water quality data and lo and behold, chromium was one of the few problems on the report. So between that and me running my RO/DI above 90 psi I believe that’s potentially my issue.
My plan is to reduce my water pressure going thru my RO/DI to start with. I’ll do a couple of fairly big water changes once I feel my ro/di has turned over.

The other possibility is my salt, I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and it too has chromium in it.

I’ll post results once I get them, as this chromium issue seems to be fairly common with thes

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your chromium levels are probably okay. The EPA sets the maximum levels at 100 ppb (parts per billion = 100 ug/L). You only have 10 ppb (10 ug/L). Chromium is toxic in the ppm (parts per million or >1000 ug/L = 1 mg/L). Chromium should be removed by your water purification system. You may want to test your tap water to see if you have high chromium levels (remember Erin Brockovich!). Chromium is also part of stainless steel (it's about 15% chromium), so maybe you have some exposed stainless steel. Here's some nice information on chromium (https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/chromium/chromium-and-water.htm)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMIO, the line pressure thing is highly unlikely to be a cause of elevated chromium in the tank. A metal part seems more likely, if you are not dosing it somehow.

Anything like a hose clamp in the water?

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your chromium levels are probably okay. The EPA sets the maximum levels at 100 ppb (parts per billion = 100 ug/L). You only have 10 ppb (10 ug/L). Chromium is toxic in the ppm (parts per million or >1000 ug/L = 1 mg/L). Chromium should be removed by your water purification system. You may want to test your tap water to see if you have high chromium levels (remember Erin Brockovich!). Chromium is also part of stainless steel (it's about 15% chromium), so maybe you have some exposed stainless steel. Here's some nice information on chromium (https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/chromium/chromium-and-water.htm)
I had a high Chromium report on a new tank and was wondering about the exposure. I stir my NSW with a stainless spoon! I'll swap that out and see what happens on my text ICP test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a high Chromium report on a new tank and was wondering about the exposure. I stir my NSW with a stainless spoon! I'll swap that out and see what happens on my text ICP test.

Some types of stainless steel are fine even for 24/7 use in a reef, but others not.

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell I have nothing metal. Pressure theory might be a bust, but I’m going to lower my pressure on my ro/di anyways. It’s a harmless Trial that only affects how long it takes to fill my storage tank.

According to the website, my water supply does have chromium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back