Triton Method questions

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working towards getting my tank ready for SPS. Everything I have been doing so far has been finding ways of creating stability. I recently failed at my first attempt with SPS (200 gallon, 9 month old tank with 300 lbs of live rock from day one.) My equipment is all top of the line... each piece bought with both my own research and advice from people here. So, yeah, I don’t get to blame my equipment anymore : ( My stability is getting better. ...learning from mistakes : )

So, I have been reading up on the Triton Method. I just got my first test back with their recommendations. They want me to start dosing Iodine, Boron, Strontium, Bromine, Sulphur, Lithium, Molybdenum, Vanadium and manganese!

Does following their plan work? Do I really need to dose all of that?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow their recommendations to a T. Hasn’t failed me yet! I highly recommend it if you’re going to commit to the Triton Method. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about it.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow their recommendations to a T. Hasn’t failed me yet! I highly recommend it if you’re going to commit to the Triton Method. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about it.
I just started reading up on it... I am not afraid of the costs. I’ve never really been good at chemistry : ) I try... When I got the test back, it was “more” than I thought it would be. I didn’t realize I was going to get “ranked” levels of recommendations for all of those elements.... so I started reading up on the “method”.

And as always... I came here for opinions on it before I dive that deep into dosing

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started reading up on it... I am not afraid of the costs. I’ve never really been good at chemistry : ) I try... When I got the test back, it was “more” than I thought it would be. I didn’t realize I was going to get “ranked” levels of recommendations for all of those elements.... so I started reading up on the “method”.

And as always... I came here for opinions on it before I dive that deep into dosing

Its really been great for us. It has stabilized our tank and I don’t have to think about dosing because I have it all automated with GHL. I send off for tests about every 6-8 weeks and then just add what they recommend after I get the test. It’s super simple. Good luck!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working towards getting my tank ready for SPS. Everything I have been doing so far has been finding ways of creating stability. I recently failed at my first attempt with SPS (200 gallon, 9 month old tank with 300 lbs of live rock from day one.) My equipment is all top of the line... each piece bought with both my own research and advice from people here. So, yeah, I don’t get to blame my equipment anymore : ( My stability is getting better. ...learning from mistakes : )

So, I have been reading up on the Triton Method. I just got my first test back with their recommendations. They want me to start dosing Iodine, Boron, Strontium, Bromine, Sulphur, Lithium, Molybdenum, Vanadium and manganese!

Does following their plan work? Do I really need to dose all of that?

Bear in mind that their recommendations are how to make your salt water look more like seawater, not that those are all actually useful. I personally would not dose all of those, and sulfur (sulfate) is likely being driven by your salt mix so trying to correct it is likely a losing battle unless you do not do water changes.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really been great for us. It has stabilized our tank and I don’t have to think about dosing because I have it all automated with GHL. I send off for tests about every 6-8 weeks and then just add what they recommend after I get the test. It’s super simple. Good luck!!
I am still somewhat of a beginner in this hobby : ) I was actually hoping this is the kind of feedback I would get on this topic.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that their recommendations are how to make your salt water look more like seawater, not that those are all actually useful. I personally would not dose all of those, and sulfur (sulfate) is likely being driven by your salt mix so trying to correct it is likely a losing battle unless you do not do water changes.
That is also what I wanted to hear : ) I have them listed below in their “order of priority”. Would you mind letting me know which ones you would not dose? (Or if it is easier, which ones you would dose?)

Iodine
Boron
Strontium
Bromine
Sulphur
Lithium
Molybdenum
Vanadium
manganese

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the DSR EZ method.
Super simple.
I only use trace and just started a small amount of carbon dosing.
I run a modified version because I run a carx. Been very stable since startup.
No issues so far and only 2 water changes in that time frame.
You can now purchase the products in the US from Deltec.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also what I wanted to hear : ) I have them listed below in their “order of priority”. Would you mind letting me know which ones you would not dose? (Or if it is easier, which ones you would dose?)

Iodine
Boron
Strontium
Bromine
Sulphur
Lithium
Molybdenum
Vanadium
manganese

Personally, I would dose only these

Molybdenum
Vanadium
manganese

If I had not already done so on my system (I have), I would experiment with dosing those below and look to see if anything benefitted

Iodine
Bromine

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what is in the ez trace for a reference. I test and dose strontium once a week and thats it.
ez-trace-elements-reef-aquarium-dosing-system-dsr-method-dsr-additives-10000ml.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back