Triton Method - small refugium?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am planning my next build and will be getting either a Waterbox 130.4 or a Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. I would love to eliminate water changes down the road to promote more stable parameters as I am a bit hesitant on setting up an AWC system. That said, I don’t really want an external refugium due to the same risks of the AWC (mainly an overflow in my house or draining the tank into the garage where I would keep the refugium). On the Waterbox, the main option is to make one in the ATO reservoir which is 5 gallons of a 128 gallon system and I’m not sure about the volume for a 425 XL. Is this sufficient for Nitrate and Phosphate extraction? Would a macro algae reactor work better (wouldn’t be my first preference given the increased maintenance)?

Option 2 would be the triton “other” method which I just have began researching. Sounds like the key there is either a biopellet reactor or dosing NOPOX?

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am planning my next build and will be getting either a Waterbox 130.4 or a Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. I would love to eliminate water changes down the road to promote more stable parameters as I am a bit hesitant on setting up an AWC system. That said, I don’t really want an external refugium due to the same risks of the AWC (mainly an overflow in my house or draining the tank into the garage where I would keep the refugium). On the Waterbox, the main option is to make one in the ATO reservoir which is 5 gallons of a 128 gallon system and I’m not sure about the volume for a 425 XL. Is this sufficient for Nitrate and Phosphate extraction? Would a macro algae reactor work better (wouldn’t be my first preference given the increased maintenance)?

Option 2 would be the triton “other” method which I just have began researching. Sounds like the key there is either a biopellet reactor or dosing NOPOX?
I have the red sea reefer 425Xl and am using triton method. The refugium is large enough. I can send you some pics if you like.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back