Triton- One Month In

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here we are- one month into the era of what we've called “empowered reef keeping” with Triton ICP-OES Professional Water Analysis available here in the U.S., and what has transpired?

triton-tank-shot.jpg

Well, to begin with,contrary to some prognosticators, the fabric of reef keeping culture has not unraveled. Wars between once friendly reefers have not erupted over the best way to run a reef tank. Elitist hobbyists have not shown up on the forums bashing Triton or the people giving it a chance, and vice-versa. Manufacturers have not run to the hills to escape ill-informed criticisms from hobbyists who ran a few tests on their products and “blew the whistle” in an ill-advised attempt to blow the cover off of some perceived conspiracy of shoddy product manufacturing.

Instead, what we’ve seen is reefers developing a burgeoning interest in achieving a greater understanding of their water chemistry, the role of trace elements in coral growth, and a desire to learn more to further their efforts in the hobby.

Whoa.

What about the zombie-like, “number-chasing” “dosing addicts” that Triton testing was supposed to create? They seemed to have missed the bus or something. Subtle, yet definite shifts have occurred in the way many hobbyists think about water chemistry. The reality is, the many hobbyists who have purchased kits and received their analysis have, perhaps for the first time, gotten a real look at the water chemistry of their reefs, and are now asking questions. Not just, “What product do I need to correct this?” or “Will this help me avoid water changes?” Rather, what we are seeing are questions and discussions surrounding things like, “What is _______ doing in my water, and how did it get there in the first place? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Could that be why my Acros always seem to lose color at the tips?”

Yes, questions and discussions about fundamental aspects of water chemistry, environmental stability, and reef-keeping methodology itself. We have casual hobbyists taking a not-so-casual look at marine chemistry- perhaps for the first time since high school or college- and discussing the ramifications of things like elevated amounts of trace metals and their affect on coral health. We’re seeing reefers trying to get to the bottom of why they have elevated levels of things like Lithium, Vanadium, or even Boron. We’re seeing hobbyists do some sleuthing about how trace elements like Manganese and iodine really affect their coral growth.

We’ve actually seen test results help solve some riddles for hobbyists that were experiencing very specific problems. We’ve seen the results confirm- in an unbiased, scientific manner, that some reefers were adding too much of a good thing- or too little. We’ve seen some results that seemingly defy what we took for granted for so long, and others that simply confirm what we already know to be a good thing.

And not just hobbyists are absorbing this newly-available information. Coral growers, vendors, and product manufacturers are also taking notice. Some have already expressed a desire to fine tune their products and techniques as a result of the detailed information now available at the hobby level. Although it’s a touchy subject, and a potentially slippery slope- we are seeing some hobbyists attempt to responsibly investigate the merits of some products on their own. Perhaps for the first time, many hobbyists are understanding, real-time- the implications of things they’re adding and practices they are engaged in with their reefs. If responsibly conducted and shared, such research can only serve to benefit the industry and hobby as a whole.

We’re seeing, in my opinion, a demonstration of some of the very best aspects of our hobby in action. We’re seeing information exchanged and discussed in a non-threatening environment. Curiosity on a wholesale level. The art of reef keeping slowly evolving as a result of new knowledge, new questions, new answers, and new discoveries- right in front of our very eyes. It’s a new front in the evolution of the hobby- and we’re all invited-encouraged-to come along; not just as passengers- but as contributors to the growing body of knowledge.

Most important- we are seeing hobbyists share. Yeah, talking WITH each other about some seemingly esoteric topics- as reefers often do- but with a very “collaborative” focus. We’re stating to see some “trends”, with certain trace elements found in excess in many systems. are these the result of hobbyists engaging in undisciplined dosing of various additives or trace element solutions, or perhaps some side effect from some combination of practices? Are various products potentially the cause of some of these results, and what are the negative implications- if any- as a result of this?

We’re seeing an amazing aspect of reef hobby culture in action. One which I have written about many times before, yet now we are experiencing a very tangible result: Sharing of information. Pure, unadulterated sharing, so that fellow hobbyists can see and understand what their peers are dealing with. Sharing that helps perpetuate efforts to work together to unlock and understand the mysteries of coral health and growth. Sharing that makes our hobby, and the culture that encompasses it more rewarding and satisfying. Sharing that may lead to new breakthroughs and discoveries that can benefit others for many years to come.

This is not "revolutionary." It is evolutionary. And YOU are the most important part of it.

On behalf of everyone involved with Triton, and to hobbyists everywhere- we thank you very much for your support, cooperation, and most important- the sharing of your experiences. Through all hobby trends, phases, and changes, sharing and cooperation among hobbyists is the one constant that will always propel us in a forward trajectory.

Regards,

Scott Fellman and Joseph Capratta
Triton US

Last edited:

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying my results, others results, and all the discussion. I feel more informed, had no idea my tank was loaded with heavy metals. It sent me on a hunt and I have found issues. Yes, i was seeing an impact, a slow decline. Yes, I am following recommendations and seeing an improvement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back