Help me identify these fish

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boyfriend went to the fish store to get coral food and came home with two new fish and didn’t bother to ask the names. Can you help me ID so I know what we’re working with? We are new hobbyist.

C66055F2-60EB-45C1-B5E0-264ECF709235.jpeg D9E26151-D8F8-4ADC-98F5-7E2752BCB7AA.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Boyfriend went to the fish store to get coral food and came home with two new fish and didn’t bother to ask the names. Can you help me ID so I know what we’re working with? We are new hobbyist.

C66055F2-60EB-45C1-B5E0-264ECF709235.jpeg D9E26151-D8F8-4ADC-98F5-7E2752BCB7AA.jpeg
Left - tomini tang (one of the smallest of tangs) and coral beauty angel which is a dwarf angel

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall friendly keepers?
How big is your tank?
A coral beauty should be in at least a 40B, but a 4 foot tank would be even better. They are pretty variable in aggression. I had to rehome one for being too aggressive, but many others have positive experiences.
The tang should be in at least a 75 as they need a lot of room to swim despite their size. I haven’t had one, but to my knowledge they are on the more mellow end of tangs.

OP
OP
C

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
A coral beauty should be in at least a 40B, but a 4 foot tank would be even better. They are pretty variable in aggression. I had to rehome one for being too aggressive, but many others have positive experiences.
The tang should be in at least a 75 as they need a lot of room to swim despite their size. I haven’t had one, but to my knowledge they are on the more mellow end of tangs.
We’ve got a 75 gallon thankfully!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Overall friendly keepers?
yes. The coral beauty gets up to 3" and can safely be in a 20h or better yet 32g bio cube or similar but I caution having them around soft coral. The Tomini stays small and a great tang to have

1709263528025.png

OP
OP
C

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
Hopefully nicer than one of our clownfish that we had to also rehome lol
yes. The coral beauty gets up to 3" and can safely be in a 20h or better yet 32g bio cube or similar but I caution having them around soft coral. The Tomini stays small and a great tang to have

1709263528025.png
I do have 3 zoa frags should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to try to prevent it from nipping at them? I’m happy to hear that about the tang. I about had a heart attack when he said the word tang lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully nicer than one of our clownfish that we had to also rehome lol

I do have 3 zoa frags should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to try to prevent it from nipping at them? I’m happy to hear that about the tang. I about had a heart attack when he said the word tang lol
Prevent - no but is a maybe. Mine bothers nothing

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should probably have a conversation with your boyfriend about how important it is to verify the care of an animal before buying it. And that doesn't mean just asking the LFS- look the animal up and read about it on a site that's not trying to sell it to you. These could very well have been something that would be entirely unsuitable for the tank.

OP
OP
C

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably have a conversation with your boyfriend about how important it is to verify the care of an animal before buying it. And that doesn't mean just asking the LFS- look the animal up and read about it on a site that's not trying to sell it to you. These could very well have been something that would be entirely unsuitable for the tank.
I’m well aware hence me asking for help. As listed in my OP he was sent in to get coral food, not fish. I was not with him nor had any idea he purchased these fish until he got home. I wasn’t happy either, but doing what I can do to be responsible which is asking for help and advice with a situation I did not create myself. Thanks for the input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back