Triton without alkalinity uptake

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 180g up and running for about 6 weeks now. The plan was to run triton. I'm all set up with reagents, and doesers, my chaeto is growing insanely well my only issue is I have zero measurable alkalinity uptake. My alkalinity has been stable at 7.8 the entire time (Hanna test, multiple reagent bottles).

I'm seeing great coral growth on my torches, acans, zoa's and gonis and I have growth rings forming on my monti caps and generally have enough coral on the tank is expect to see some change...

My concern is that without the alkalinity uptake, I'm not sure how much to dose of anything else. Am I safe to just dose nothing till I see a drop? Or should I be looking for a drop in calc or mag or some such to make sure it's just not my alkalinity that's being odd?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with all plans that relate trace and minor element dosing to alkalinity or calcium uptake is that many organisms, from soft corals to macroalgae, take up many elements but no alk or calcium.

That said, if your hard corals are growing, I'd expect some alk decline.

Can you list everything you add to the water?

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I add water (TDS 0), mysis /brine shrimp (dried) and nori.

Whilst I started with rock from a previous tank I also have new sand, a 40lb extra dry rock (mined dry reef rock) and chaeto.

Stocking has also increased a chunk however nitrate and phosphate are both stable and low, there has been no big drop in nutrients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably look for a trace element addition method that was more general with a guide as mL per gallon per day, or some such thing.

For example:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back