Trochus snail on Euphyllia stalks a lot?

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that my trochus snails, all 3 of them, seem to like hanging out on the stalks of my hammers and frogspawn. Issue is, the corals absolutely do not seem to appreciate this. Is this normal? I assume they're on there to graze algae, but I have plenty of algae elsewhere for them to graze. Hell I even left the glass alone so they could have some food. Should I knock them off or just let them be? Anybody ever have large snails develop a taste for Euphyllia flesh?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Knock them off and place on opposite side of tank. The stems have slime which they may be feasting on

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I had no idea that they'd eat coral mucus.
I had a pretty big hammer colony, maybe 30 heads or so, that had algae growing throughout the middle. I couldn't get rid of it and it was inhibiting growth of new heads. I broke it up and put them in a small tank with a bunch of trochus. The trochus devoured the algae on the stems and now they are clear and growing new heads again. The trochus didn't harm the hammers at all. They might close up for a moment if the snails get right near the top but no harm IME. My hammers are as happy as ever.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back