Trochus snail spawning issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter Salty87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Salty87

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2022
Messages
91
Reaction score
81
Location
Asia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i had a minor panic moment. I have a 15 gal reef that is just under a month old. Still waiting on it to settle down. Few LPS(goni, chalice, torch and turbinaria) and zoas. I don't run a skimmer and rely on a hob chaeto refugium for nutrient export.

Woke up to a cloudy tank and noticed the 5 trochus snails all spawning. Tank is basically milky atm. Was facing low nutrients and now this. Can this possibly crash my reef? I do run bags of chemipure blue and gfo intermittently. Will I be OK if I do a 20% water change. Any insight is appreciated. Can post a video I managed to capture of this event if needed. These guys are still at it an hr after lights on.
 
Not too clear but pretty certain it is a spawning event.
 

Attachments

  • 20220821_081208.jpg
    20220821_081208.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 71
Do a water change and maybe chase them around with a stick and tell them to knock it off :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
Do a water change and maybe chase them around with a stick and tell them to knock it off :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's like their entire body is filled with the stuff! I wanted to have trochus spawning in the tank eventually but this soon? And this much? Need to turn off the Barry white/Marvin gaye I guess.
 
The spawning event... Didn't know whether its kid friendly or not :confounded-face:
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new