Trochus Snail Twitching

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One (I think) of my trochus snails does a periodic back and forth, rapid twitching thing. Maybe something lodged inside irritating it?
*not constantly but at least a couple of times a day for just a few seconds at a time

Main question is if there's something specific I should be looking for.

I believe (although not 100% sure) that it is one specific snail of 5 total:
- snails in QT and I've been scrubbing the shells with H2O2 once or twice per week just because they initially had some spots of turf algae on the shells
- each time I've done this, one would exhibit the twitching behavior while the other 4 would not
- I hear the scraping/tapping on glass periodically throughout the day at random
- at about day 30 in QT and still going on

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One (I think) of my trochus snails does a periodic back and forth, rapid twitching thing. Maybe something lodged inside irritating it?
*not constantly but at least a couple of times a day for just a few seconds at a time

Main question is if there's something specific I should be looking for.

I believe (although not 100% sure) that it is one specific snail of 5 total:
- snails in QT and I've been scrubbing the shells with H2O2 once or twice per week just because they initially had some spots of turf algae on the shells
- each time I've done this, one would exhibit the twitching behavior while the other 4 would not
- I hear the scraping/tapping on glass periodically throughout the day at random
- at about day 30 in QT and still going on
May be preparing to dislodge eggs which are clear spheres but also will do during feeding on algae

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Interesting,,, will have to keep an eye out. (It's been going on for about a month though)
Another thing that came to mind- they display this behavior with shell growth and even from picking up sand or other material under the shell and trying to dislodge it

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that came to mind- they display this behavior with shell growth and even from picking up sand or other material under the shell and trying to dislodge it
My initial assumption was some irritant stuck inside the shell.
My only decision will be at end of QT, if it's still exhibiting this behavior, would there be any reason to avoid adding this one to DT. (Probably not but figured I'd ask)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back