Trochus Snails Reproducing

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This morning, I noticed a tiny snail on the glass if my aquarium and I just so happened to notice one of my trochus snails releasing stuff into the water column, how do I tell the sex of snails?

I was just wondering if the snails have bred before, hence the baby snails that I've never seen before or if that's just a hitchhiker.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can reproduce in certain tanks. I have purchased a couple dozen juvenile trochus snails from a local kid that had them reproduce in his FOWLR. Unfortunately the juveniles did not seem to do so well in my tank and very few made it to adulthood.

Dennis

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can reproduce in certain tanks. I have purchased a couple dozen juvenile trochus snails from a local kid that had them reproduce in his FOWLR. Unfortunately the juveniles did not seem to do so well in my tank and very few made it to adulthood.

Dennis
I mean the baby snail on the glass soon disappeared so I don't know if someone ate it or if it had fallen off and ended up on the sand, I only have two trochus snails at the moment and whilst I saw what I assume to be the male releasing into the water column I have no way of telling if my other one is a female

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Had a huge spawn myself months ago. Probably sold 1000 of them to local shops so far from just the 1 spawn. They were so tiny that I was using the 10ml red sea syringe to suck them up 50 at a time. System has 5 tanks. The tanks with fish had 0 babies. Guessing sixline bass gobbled them up in 3 tanks. They were absolutely packed in both sumps. I've seen the adults spawn multiple times since then but no babies since the first time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trochus, nasssrius, collanista and strombus reproduce regularly

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded Trochus snails have reproduced numerous times. I started with about 6 and now have about 20 of them. I havent seen them lay eggs in a while tho here lately. Mine usually lay eggs in a string of white jelly on the glass and in a week or so they hatch and the jelly is gone. There is no way to sex them that I am aware of.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back