Tromni’s Fluval Evo 13.5 - Getting Started

Tromni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted to start documenting the process from the very beginning, and today was the day that salty water went in the box. I haven’t kept a reef tank in the past 15 years while I was raising small humans instead.

Tank is a Fluval Evo 13.5 with stock lighting that I picked up used. The original owner tinkered with the return pump a bit and I replaced it with the Sicce 0.5. I have the inTank basket for chamber 1 and intend to go skimmerless.

The goal for this tank is to keep things that are hardy and likely to succeed. Softies and clowns and maybe a shrimp/goby pair.

I finished the aquascape today and am really happy with how everything turned out. Gonna let the water clear up a bit and make sure there are no surprises and then start the cycle with Dr Tim’s and ammonia chloride.

Only challenge so far is that the tank seems to be slightly off level, which of course I didn’t catch until it was full of water. Anyone have suggestions for how to shim it a smidge?

Obligatory FTS shots for Day 1. Gotta start somewhere . . .

0D34A774-22FB-432B-991E-90F561F503A9.jpeg
FDBDEA6A-246C-4B64-9AF9-B497346C44AE.jpeg
D4822EF4-FD90-4FA5-96E9-C61BA87A74DD.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummn, that water level is really high. The tank is usually filled to about an inch from the top.
If something blocks the surface skimmer or chamber one/2 you will have a problem.

As for the level, I'd just empty and re-level.

OP
OP
Tromni

Tromni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummn, that water level is really high. The tank is usually filled to about an inch from the top.
If something blocks the surface skimmer or chamber one/2 you will have a problem.

As for the level, I'd just empty and re-level.
Thanks for the advice! The return pump outlet is so close to the waterline it’s a little awkward to figure out the right level. I’ll have to play with it some more

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back