Tropic Marin All for Reef. Lazy Reefing question.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so in my 38 gal peninsula everything is going pretty good but I'd like to make sure there is a pretty good balance with the building blocks of the reef. Calcium, Magnesium, etc. So my question is I'm going to follow
instructions on the bottle but I am going to cut the dose down to a 1/2 or 1/3 and just out that in instead if a full dose. If I did this and did it only twice a week could I OVER dose this stuff? I don't think im too low on Calcium and magnesium, salt mix I have uses it but tank is 2 years old, have gotten lazy with water changes and just want to make sure the minerals are there. So figured I could do this as long as it's in small amounts to make sure it has everything it needs. If the levels do go higher than nirmal surely they won't go higher by much? Maybe even be better for some of my stony lps. I do NOT have sos in this tank.

Zgraggen Bruno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been using all4reef for a long time. Do water changes 2-3 times a year. The carbohydrate is adjusted properly and it works very well. The corals are looking great and it's just a liquid. I dose on my 500 liter Peninsula, 95ml/day. All4Reef is probably the most cost-effective product. You can make 10 liters of all4reef with one can, which costs about 3 dollars per liter... (Prices in Switzerland)I hope you find answers in my explanation :cool:

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so in my 38 gal peninsula everything is going pretty good but I'd like to make sure there is a pretty good balance with the building blocks of the reef. Calcium, Magnesium, etc. So my question is I'm going to follow
instructions on the bottle but I am going to cut the dose down to a 1/2 or 1/3 and just out that in instead if a full dose. If I did this and did it only twice a week could I OVER dose this stuff? I don't think im too low on Calcium and magnesium, salt mix I have uses it but tank is 2 years old, have gotten lazy with water changes and just want to make sure the minerals are there. So figured I could do this as long as it's in small amounts to make sure it has everything it needs. If the levels do go higher than nirmal surely they won't go higher by much? Maybe even be better for some of my stony lps. I do NOT have sos in this tank.
You need to dose based on your consumption. You'll need to monitor your alk, not dose or water change and then measure again 3-4 days later. Then dose accordingly based on that rate of consumption (as long as you're not swinging your alk too far, which to me is >1dkh). You'll want to test regularly when you start dosing something new and then you can test less frequently once you have your method down and trust it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well AFR is for maintaining you parameters not changing them. In fact your Alk/cal should be where you want them before you start using it. I would dose daily because the way that AFR is designed it uses bacteria to break down to get Alk or something like that. Use the recommended dose and measure your alk/cal after a week. Adjust if necessary. Also it is based on Alk not calcium. so you dose to where you Alk is steady and add calcium if needed separately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were to use AFR, I'd always dose it to maintain alkalinity long term, and adjust anything else in other ways if needed.
I don't really see picking a low dose to avoid overdosing as being particularly useful. It's not like it's the only source of trace elements in a reef tank (although some folks may believe that).

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses they have really helped, thank you.
if I were to use AFR, I'd always dose it to maintain alkalinity long term, and adjust anything else in other ways if needed.
I don't really see picking a low dose to avoid overdosing as being particularly useful. It's not like it's the only source of trace elements in a reef tank (although some folks may believe that).
Dose it daily for best results! If you wanna start slow then Start slow, once your alk holds steady that’s your maintenance dose until stuff grows and starts to drop.
Well AFR is for maintaining you parameters not changing them. In fact your Alk/cal should be where you want them before you start using it. I would dose daily because the way that AFR is designed it uses bacteria to break down to get Alk or something like that. Use the recommended dose and measure your alk/cal after a week. Adjust if necessary. Also it is based on Alk not calcium. so you dose to where you Alk is steady and add calcium if needed separately.
You need to dose based on your consumption. You'll need to monitor your alk, not dose or water change and then measure again 3-4 days later. Then dose accordingly based on that rate of consumption (as long as you're not swinging your alk too far, which to me is >1dkh). You'll want to test regularly when you start dosing something new and then you can test less frequently once you have your method down and trust it.
Hello, I have been using all4reef for a long time. Do water changes 2-3 times a year. The carbohydrate is adjusted properly and it works very well. The corals are looking great and it's just a liquid. I dose on my 500 liter Peninsula, 95ml/day. All4Reef is probably the most cost-effective product. You can make 10 liters of all4reef with one can, which costs about 3 dollars per liter... (Prices in Switzerland)I hope you find answers in my explanation :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back