Tropic Marin All for reef vs other methods?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing carbo calcium, which is all for reef without trace elements, and kalkwasser on my SPS tank.

Kalk is dosed constantly and carbo calcium doses are spread out every few hours.

In the past I’ve used kalk and 2 part and my sand bed hardened, this shouldn’t happen with carbo calcium.

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used AFR for the last 2 years and have very good experience with it (mixed SPS/LPS 90gallon). In the last 3 months I also added kalkwasser on the side for a PH boost. Just mix to low demand and ALK can be kept relatively stable with good PH boost (well in my experience the boost in PH will increase growth so ALK consumption goes up and is covered nicely by the kalk)

Tank rarely sees waterchanges (perhaps 2 smaller ones per year)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go with the A4R. Great product with great results. 2 part is too much work…

4EB4C8A3-F1BA-4AED-BEFF-832031F3E6C0.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome . How long have you been using a4r and do you dose anything else?
Full disclosure - I run a calcium reactor 24/7 BUT I supplement 30 ml of A4R during the day to keep my Alk & Calc stable. Love A4R.

OP
OP
ReeferK

ReeferK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a versa dosing pump and can choose to dose all at once, throughout the day or have it run continuously. What would be the best way to dose A4R

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a versa dosing pump and can choose to dose all at once, throughout the day or have it run continuously. What would be the best way to dose A4R
It would be best to spread it out, either continuously or so much every hour or three.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s no drawback to spreading it out that I’m aware of.

Last edited:

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a big benefit to spreading it out. Seems to take roughly 12 hours for the alk to take effect (at least until I can measure it). I spread it during lights on hours and it seems to keep it quite stable during a 24 hour period (alk consumption during night much lower). Perhaps its just me?

Using KH director to measure ALK 4 times in a 24 hour period and dial it in that way. Some times when I get my kalkwasser mix a bit off, I have to either decrease or increase it a bit as to not raise/lower ALK.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is suboptimal in that it's a preset ratio of alk/ca. Now, if you are doing DIY version, you can adjust the amounts of each as desired, but if using the powder version, if you want to adjust one independently, it's not as straightforward. The ease and convenience makes up for it for me and many others.
It's worse than that - it's a preset ratio of Alk:Ca:Trace:Carbon (although the carbon dosing is really minor).

My general view with aquarium dosing is that I want my products to be as narrow as possible. I'd rather buy a bottle of sodium phosphate than potassium phosphate because sodium basically doesn't count (it's at like 12000ppm), and potassium does. I want to be able to control things independently.

Tying alkalinity to calcium to trace to carbon pretty much guarantees that you're going to be over dosing, or under dosing something.

My other issue is the delayed effect. It makes it harder to validate that changes are happening in the way you expect - you can't just test an hour later and make sure your alk is where its supposed to be. (calcium reactors behave the same way - but are more predictable because they're chemical and not biological)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back