Tropic Marin pro or Red Sea blue bucket

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I set up my tank using Tropic Marin pro reef salt but have noticed my alkalinity is always very low, it tested 6.4 last night. I have virtually no coral only a couple zoa frags. I was thinking about switching to Red Sea blue bucket as I believe the levels are closer to what I would like to keep my tank at. I have 2 questions... first, would you make the switch and call it a day or stick to the TM pro and just add 2 part? And second, what could cause alk to be so low with almost no coral. TM usually measures at 7.7 when I test during water changes?
Thanks everyone.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not totally sure about your exact question but I use Red Sea blue bucket and can give you some insight on that though. It consistently mixes right at 7.7-8.0 which I keep my tank at 8. Cal mixes right about 400. Only thing I dont like about it is Mag mixes pretty low, like at 1170 so I have to dose about 35ml on average per 5gal water change. Its not a huge deal but just so your aware of it. Strange your having issues with TM cause they are usually highly talked about.

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Tropic Marin Pro usually keep my mixed salt storage container well airated and get 7.0-7.5 alk usually. On occasion ill have a batch that mixes a little low and I bump it up with brs 2 part to 7.5ish. I aim for 7.5 myself in my tank.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose the salt of your choice. I would just add a buffer before adding the water to the tank. That’s what I do myself with Red Sea blue bucket to get alk up to 8.5

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main question is why does my alk drop so much with no coral using it. If it mixes at about 7.7 why after a week is it 6.4? I would think it would stay at around what it mixes at. To keep my alk at 8-8.5 I was adding .5ml of brs 2 part alk supp daily with no coral in my tank only the zoas.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RMMKD0 how are you measuring your alk? I use TM Pro and it consistently mixes around 6.4-6.6 dKh. I don’t aerate or anything. Small pump at the bottom of a Brute. TM Pro is intended to mix low Alk as they designed the salt to be used with Ca reactors and stuff. I add soda ash and raise the Alk to my target 8.5. I’m thinking about switching to TM Classic as the Alk is closer to my target.

That said I really like how well TM mixes and the consistency batch to batch.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro is you want a spotless sw mixing bin, but at a premium. Tried it for a year and went back to blue bucket after seeing no other benefits.

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I will look into the TM classic, buy will prolly just use the RS blue bucket for now as I don’t want to dose anything if I don’t have to, especially with no coral yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Marin is excellent but best way to find out is to buy the Small pail (not big bucket) of coral pro (retails $20) and see if the values change, then you'll know its a salt issue and then make the switch with a fresh bucket

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back