Tropic Marin Pro-reef and dkh >8

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gal system. 6 months since cycled. Have softies in currently and doing well. Planning on adding LPS.
I am using Tropic Marine Pro-reef (mainly because from previous FOWLER tanks my experience was it mixes very clean)
My goal dkh is 8.4.

My question: who is using TM Pro-reef and running dkh above initial mixed level (7 dkh). If yes, than do you just dose extra alk when you do water change to bring new salt water dkh up to desired level. Doesnt that make for unbalanced ionic issues as calcium level of fresh mixed TM pro-reef is already at my goal level.

Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gal system. 6 months since cycled. Have softies in currently and doing well. Planning on adding LPS.
I am using Tropic Marine Pro-reef (mainly because from previous FOWLER tanks my experience was it mixes very clean)
My goal dkh is 8.4.

My question: who is using TM Pro-reef and running dkh above initial mixed level (7 dkh). If yes, than do you just dose extra alk when you do water change to bring new salt water dkh up to desired level. Doesnt that make for unbalanced ionic issues as calcium level of fresh mixed TM pro-reef is already at my goal level.

Thanks
iirc,
There is a balanced ratio of calcium to alk already recommended.
When i plug in 7dkh to the caclculator it reads 410ppm as balanced calcium.
When i plug in 8.4 it reads 420.
I dont think its going to thow it off too much if you add the alk to your salt mix as long as your calcium is somewhere in this range youre likely fine.

Whats the calcium mix up to if you dont mind me asking?

I do the same thing as i use redsea blue bucket @ 7.5dkh and i raise it to 8.5
Balanced calcium is around 425 which is about what it mixes up to already so i only add alk and usually mag.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal dkh is 8.4.

Thanks
Use it and I keep dkh at 8.5. I just dose 3.2 ml of my part 2 for my 5 gal water changes and it brings it up to my target. Not a big deal just got to remember to do it. Here is a link the the BEST calculator out there. Just type in how much water you made and assume the TMP will be at the 7dkh if mixed correctly like they state it should be and what you want it to be and select your brand of part 2.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I add baking soda and a little b-ionic part a to bring the alk to 9 on Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

OP
OP
M

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iirc,
There is a balanced ratio of calcium to alk already recommended.
When i plug in 7dkh to the caclculator it reads 410ppm as balanced calcium.
When i plug in 8.4 it reads 420.
I dont think its going to thow it off too much if you add the alk to your salt mix as long as your calcium is somewhere in this range youre likely fine.

Whats the calcium mix up to if you dont mind me asking?

I do the same thing as i use redsea blue bucket @ 7.5dkh and i raise it to 8.5
Balanced calcium is around 425 which is about what it mixes up to already so i only add alk and usually mag.

Calcium mix up to 430 - close enough to the listed specs.
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal dkh is 8.4.

Thanks

if you want a ratio that does not match the salt mix, then you will heve to dose an unbalanced ratio of calcium to alk to get there. There is nothing wrong with that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back