Tropic Marin Pro Reef, bye bye

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what makes TMP better?
What do they add, or not add that makes the salt worth twice the price?
Will my corals be healthier and more colorful or more extension?
I would try it again if I knew what I was paying for, not just marketing.....

For the primary part, it's that it mix up the cleanest, and fast (within couple hours). I have a water mixing station. It makes a big difference on how filth it gets after couple cycle.

Also it's not that more expensive. Cost per gallon of water made is like within 10% difference between most salt beside instant ocean.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying I am not the only one. I never have to clean my mixing tank with tropic marin but io and rc all the time even if it is calcium carbonate like randy suggests why would I want to pay for something to just precipitate straight out while mixing. I personally think that it is waste of money if that is the case or it's just impurities in the salt either way I will stick with TM

Is it possible that you don't see the crud because it's white and not tan like IO?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're not implying that I'm being untruthful. Each and every time I wanted to order this salt I had to wait for it to be available. That is no fabrication. I never said i had a problem with TMP itself. I found the salt itself to perform as advertised. I just had to sometimes delay water changes and that drove me to change to another salt. Look at the posts about the subject and I think you'll see building frustration in the community.

If you've not had any problem getting TMP that's great. Don't change. It hadn't been my experience, so I switched.
Not at all my friend, I understand the frustration, basically it sucks, I just have some faith Lou at tropic is speaking the truth, or else I’m going elsewhere also

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Tropic Marin dropped the word Pro and just called something like Tropic Marin Ocean Crystals nobody would pay double the price for it over RC. Unfortunately this hobby has become all about ego and self absorption. Just look at what people are paying for a dime size frag with a stupid name tagged to it.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who pays $63 for a bucket of RC? I typically pay less than $40. This chart is a bit misleading.

Good catch. It's downright wrong. Amazon has it with S&S for about $0.28 a gallon - following that chart.

I picked up my last bucket from petco locally for $34 with their local pickup 25% off. So, like $0.25 a gallon.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0C96D727-E4A7-4B26-83F7-C17173FF2B14.jpeg

Do you think it comes with the broken tab??

i wouldn’t buy any salt with the tab broken

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Especially @ $69 for 200g

wholesale cost more than that

suspicious
I have two buckets here from Petco.com and they were $71 each w/free ship on sale

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're not implying that I'm being untruthful. Each and every time I wanted to order this salt I had to wait for it to be available. That is no fabrication. I never said i had a problem with TMP itself. I found the salt itself to perform as advertised. I just had to sometimes delay water changes and that drove me to change to another salt. Look at the posts about the subject and I think you'll see building frustration in the community.

If you've not had any problem getting TMP that's great. Don't change. It hadn't been my experience, so I switched.
It’s true even here in socal I’ve been to a few stores and they are either out or don’t carry it. Maybe some stores don’t carry it due to the price but he’s right the availability isn’t there unless you go to a few different stores just to find tmp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back