Tropic Marin Pro Reef Cloudy Orange Brown Water Still

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question to people using TM Reef Pro Turkey Salt before the shut down. I had just mixed up 265 gallons of this salt right when this was all going down. My tank is a transfer over from a previous tank so at this point I am pretty stable growing coraline my Zoas and Palys are growing well but my SPS is little or no growth and my water is always cloudy and here are some pictures of my fleece in my filter cup after 4 hours of running in the system.

67062779329__D999EEAE-6AAD-4909-B8BC-2FC0D2186D14.fullsizerender.JPG
67062781054__E2C346DF-D576-416D-8B18-FBFAC83BF2D3.fullsizerender.JPG

My parameters are 1000 Litre System - DKH 8.65 CA 480 MG 1280 Ph is in range, salinity is 1.026, temp is 78, Nitrates at 3, Phosphates a .01, my most recent ICP showed nothing bad except elevated Copper so I ran some Curpisorb for a couple weeks and just sent out for another ICP. Copper was not elevated enough to hurt anything but enough to not be normal.

My question to TM users is did you have to water change all of this water out or does this eventually go away on its own? I do not regularly perform water changes I run a refugium that keeps my nutrients very low and I am dosing back trace elements via the Reef Moonshiners method. I did change our 40 gallons yesterday and nothing really changed. I am assuming I have to do about 10 more but I was hoping not!? Thanks...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a question to people using TM Reef Pro Turkey Salt before the shut down. I had just mixed up 265 gallons of this salt right when this was all going down. My tank is a transfer over from a previous tank so at this point I am pretty stable growing coraline my Zoas and Palys are growing well but my SPS is little or no growth and my water is always cloudy and here are some pictures of my fleece in my filter cup after 4 hours of running in the system.

67062779329__D999EEAE-6AAD-4909-B8BC-2FC0D2186D14.fullsizerender.JPG
67062781054__E2C346DF-D576-416D-8B18-FBFAC83BF2D3.fullsizerender.JPG

My parameters are 1000 Litre System - DKH 8.65 CA 480 MG 1280 Ph is in range, salinity is 1.026, temp is 78, Nitrates at 3, Phosphates a .01, my most recent ICP showed nothing bad except elevated Copper so I ran some Curpisorb for a couple weeks and just sent out for another ICP. Copper was not elevated enough to hurt anything but enough to not be normal.

My question to TM users is did you have to water change all of this water out or does this eventually go away on its own? I do not regularly perform water changes I run a refugium that keeps my nutrients very low and I am dosing back trace elements via the Reef Moonshiners method. I did change our 40 gallons yesterday and nothing really changed. I am assuming I have to do about 10 more but I was hoping not!? Thanks...
I use TMP and get brown BUT Not this much.
Look at your bucket- Is it Germany or Turkey manufacturing ?
I use Chemipure blue or Elite which helps alleviate the discoloration and any toxins - IF present. Mentioned was carbon which also works

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been running carbon and it hasnt really made a difference. I bought a couple 100 micron socks yesterday to see if that helps.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TMP and get brown BUT Not this much.
Look at your bucket- Is it Germany or Turkey manufacturing ?
I use Chemipure blue or Elite which helps alleviate the discoloration and any toxins - IF present. Mentioned was carbon which also works
Turkey

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Throw it out. It's not worth the trouble it will put you through. I've been pulling my hair out for 8+ weeks using Tropic Marin Salt. After every water change everything looked sad and deflated.

First water change with Red Sea Blue yesterday and call me crazy but the tank seems to have rebounded almost overnight and things look like they should after a water change, happy happy happy!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I thought so. Its a Bad batch and do not use any more as it has posed many problems for aquarists. On your bucket is their contact info. Speak with Lou who will hook you up with replacement from Germany plant
I use TMA and it gives me NO issues. Turkey had issues.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw it out. It's not worth the trouble it will put you through. I've been pulling my hair out for 8+ weeks using Tropic Marin Salt. After every water change everything looked sad and deflated.

First water change with Red Sea Blue yesterday and call me crazy but the tank seems to have rebounded almost overnight and things look like they should after a water change, happy happy happy!!

I did a 15% change and not much difference but I will keep doing them every week until i cycle it all out I guess.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing. I just got a few buckets of brightwell and changed 70% of my 180 over a few days. Im not done with TM but not worth dealing with the Turkey salt. I usually only change 3 gals a day with my DOS.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing. I just got a few buckets of brightwell and changed 70% of my 180 over a few days. Im not done with TM but not worth dealing with the Turkey salt. I usually only change 3 gals a day with my DOS.
Did you have clouding issues and get that orange brown on your filter media and are they now gone?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back