OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update:

The salt is made in Germany as I stated before.

New Batch:
Salinity: 34.6
Temp: 71.5
Alkalinity: 5.3

Old Batch:
Salinity: 35.0
Temp: 70.5
Alkalinity: 5.1

**EDIT**

BTW, this would make sense why my alkalinity is so low. My tank was started end of June of 2021 and the first time I tested Alkalinity was Oct 30th with a reading of 5.4.

I started dosing kalkwasser perhaps 2 or 3 weeks ago when my levels were 4.5. I thought it was strange that my tank would have consumed so much alkalinity with such a small bio load of corals.

I'll need to dose my SW bin and use the kalkwasser to maintain my consumption. December 18th was the last time I tested all of the parameters that I test for.

KH

dKH
Ca
ppm
NO3
ppm
PO4
ppm
S
ppt

F
Dec 23Thu5.40.0034.478.9
Dec 22Wed4.734.576.8
Dec 20Mon4.734.679.1
Dec 18Sat4.44500.000.0134.478.2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Better than OK. It's essentially ideal in this use.
Could you please link the most recent post/instructions on how to raise Alkalinity with A&H Baking Soda?

My SW reservoir is a 27 Gallon tub, I would assume there is something like 15 gallons.

Thank you in advance!

Gaspare

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please link the most recent post/instructions on how to raise Alkalinity with A&H Baking Soda?

My SW reservoir is a 27 Gallon tub, I would assume there is something like 15 gallons.

Thank you in advance!

Gaspare

Scroll to the bottom of that page it has a calculator.

This page also has one, and it has calc and mag calculators too. I have both bookmarked. I used this one more:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update:

The salt is made in Germany as I stated before.

New Batch:
Temp: 71.5
Alkalinity: 5.3

Old Batch:
Alkalinity: 5.1

**EDIT**

BTW, this would make sense why my alkalinity is so low. My tank was started end of June of 2021 and the first time I tested Alkalinity was Oct 30th with a reading of 5.4.

I started dosing kalkwasser perhaps 2 or 3 weeks ago when my levels were 4.5. I thought it was strange that my tank would have consumed so much alkalinity with such a small bio load of corals.

I'll need to dose my SW bin and use the kalkwasser to maintain my consumption. December 18th was the last time I tested all of the parameters that I test for.

KH

dKH
Ca
ppm
NO3
ppm
PO4
ppm
S
ppt

F
Dec 23Thu5.40.0034.478.9
Dec 22Wed4.734.576.8
Dec 20Mon4.734.679.1
Dec 18Sat4.44500.000.0134.478.2
Whoa whoa whoa... pump the breaks then...

Explain to me exactly how you're testing your Alkalinity and with which test. Walk me through the steps.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you're using a Hanna Checker... I would almost try a different reagent or try a different test kit before I started wholly increasing. Especially if yours has been low since you started testing...

Edit 2: When you add the 1mL of reagent, are you adding the whole syringe? Or the whole syringe with the bubble that's supposed to be there? (Most of the syringe itself should be empty when you extract 1mL if you're using the provided tip)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Explain to me exactly how you're testing your Alkalinity and with which test. Walk me through the steps.
OK

1. So yesterday I drained 99% of the SW I had in my bin.
  2. I created new RODI water using BRS 4 Stage. TDS are 0.
    1. The filters and the TP Pro Reef Salt bucket were purchased at same time, so the filters have not been through a single bucket yet. And TDS going into the RODI is 3 or 4, as mentioned a 0 exiting.
  3. I leave the circulating pump on 24 hours, and add salt slowly.
  4. Today I used my Hanna Salinity Tester Pen HI98319 and Hanna HI772 to measure Alkalinity.
This evening I tested both the old batch of SW that I had removed from the bin AND the NEW batch I made yesterday.

New SW Bin:
Temp 71.5
Alk: 5.3 dKH

Old SW Pail:
Alk: 5.1 dKH

also on Wed Dec 22 I took measurements on my DT...

Alkalinity: 4.7
Salinity: 34.5
Temp: 78.2

AFTER taking these readings I performed a WC (with the "old" batch) 2 gallons aka 10% (22 gallons of water in tank)

Thur Dec 23 in the early afternoon I took readings of DT:
Alk: 5.4 (I believe this spike was from the 10% WC AND I am dosing kalkwasser)
NO3: 0.00
Salinity: 34.4
Temp: 78.9

So.. in order:
Dec 22nd I tested DT , did a 2 gallon WC, saved the old salt water in a pail, made a new batch of salt water.
Dec 23: tested DT, tested NEW salt water, tested New salt water (again), tested OLD salt water in pail.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Nevermind, I see you're using a Hanna Checker... I would almost try a different reagent or try a different test kit before I started wholly increasing. Especially if yours has been low since you started testing...
too late :) I posted lol
Edit 2: When you add the 1mL of reagent, are you adding the whole syringe? Or the whole syringe with the bubble that's supposed to be there? (Most of the syringe itself should be empty when you extract 1mL if you're using the provided tip)
So what I do is use the tip. I pull the plunger all the way up load it w/ reagent... empty it all into the bottle and then pull it up passed the 1.0 mark. I then push the plunger to the 1.0 mark.

I then push the plunger all the way down into the cuvette and it leaves a very small amount of reagent in the tip. I then suck a small amount of the liquid from the cuvette and shoot it back into the cuvette allowing me to get more of the reagent into the cuvette.

I use a wipe cloth from my glasses as a cleaner. I always situate the 10 ML label on the cuvette to the front when testing both times. I store the cuvette with RODI water to the top.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too late :) I posted lol

So what I do is use the tip. I pull the plunger all the way up load it w/ reagent... empty it all into the bottle and then pull it up passed the 1.0 mark. I then push the plunger to the 1.0 mark.

I then push the plunger all the way down into the cuvette and it leaves a very small amount of reagent in the tip. I then suck a small amount of the liquid from the cuvette and shoot it back into the cuvette allowing me to get more of the reagent into the cuvette.

I use a wipe cloth from my glasses as a cleaner. I always situate the 10 ML label on the cuvette to the front when testing both times. I store the cuvette with RODI water to the top.
Sorry, I'm getting just a bit confused with the wording.

Syringe into reagent with tip on>pull plunger back all the way past the 1.0 mark>push pluger to 1.0 mark>expel into cuvette

^Is that correct? You don't try and fill up the extra bubble space that is created by the tip do you? For instance, in my redsea Alk test, I pull the plunger back to 1.0 and there is a bubble from 1.0->~0.8, that bubble is supposed to be there and it's important (because the tip holds the extra .2 in my case).

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm getting just a bit confused with the wording.

Syringe into reagent with tip on>pull plunger back all the way past the 1.0 mark>push pluger to 1.0 mark>expel into cuvette

^Is that correct? You don't try and fill up the extra bubble space that is created by the tip do you? For instance, in my redsea Alk test, I pull the plunger back to 1.0 and there is a bubble from 1.0->~0.8, that bubble is supposed to be there and it's important (because the tip holds the extra .2 in my case).
No problem, thank you for the effort to help! That is correct what you just described.
"Syringe into reagent with tip on>pull plunger back all the way past the 1.0 mark>push pluger to 1.0 mark>expel into cuvette"

I do not try and manipulate anything to fill in the bubble. As a matter of fact, using the tip the reagent never actually enters the syringe. It only stays in the tip.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, thank you for the effort to help! That is correct what you just described.
"Syringe into reagent with tip on>pull plunger back all the way past the 1.0 mark>push pluger to 1.0 mark>expel into cuvette"

I do not try and manipulate anything to fill in the bubble. As a matter of fact, using the tip the reagent never actually enters the syringe. It only stays in the tip.
Ok, then before you start trying to dose higher alk, I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion. Bring a sample of your water to an LFS and have them test the alk. If they come up with the same low 5.* number, or 4.* numbers you've been seeing, then go ahead and dose, but definitely alert Tropic Marin to what you're experiencing. Lou seems awesome (though I've not had to deal with him directly) and I am sure he would like to know about your results, and would likely make it right. He is very active on these forums (for a vendor).

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk in the 5s, I think it is better to use IO RC than this TM bs, are they trying to make a salt for fowlr tank?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk in the 5s, I think it is better to use IO RC than this TM bs, are they trying to make a salt for fowlr tank?
I've used Tropic Marin for a really long time. This result is WAY outside the norm. Every batch I've ever mixed is nearly identical to what is described on the container. I am guessing that either his reagent is bad, or he got a bad batch, which TM will make right.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you in advance!

Gaspare

As folks noted, use the calculator to determine how much is needed, dissolve it in RO/DI water, and then add it to a high flow area away from organisms.

Don't boost alk too fast in an aquarium. 0.5 dKH a dat is enough.

Boosting fast is fine in new salt water at 5 dKH. No need to go over 7-8 dKH in new salt water.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW:
Just opened a new bucket of TM Pro

At .35ppt, alk came in at 7.7 dKH / Red Sea Alk Pro kit.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**

1. I haven't had the time to goto my LFS to have my water tested
2. I added 5g or .2oz of baking soda into the new batch of SW ran the pump 24 hours
3. Tested just now:

Date12/23/202112/29/2021
Salinity34.635.0
Temp71.573.2
Alkalinity5.36.9

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**

1. I haven't had the time to goto my LFS to have my water tested
2. I added 5g or .2oz of baking soda into the new batch of SW ran the pump 24 hours
3. Tested just now:

Date12/23/202112/29/2021
Salinity34.635.0
Temp71.573.2
Alkalinity5.36.9
I would definitely reach out to @Lou Ekus via Tropic Marin's customer service line and let him know this experience. 4-5dKH is way low for a freshly mixed batch, and I know they will make it right.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely reach out to @Lou Ekus via Tropic Marin's customer service line and let him know this experience. 4-5dKH is way low for a freshly mixed batch, and I know they will make it right.
To be honest, I have used 1/2 of it already so I don't feel right about it lol.

Plus for the first 4 months I wasn't testing, no corals died. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :)

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 2 grams more of baking soda. I am using the volume as 15 gallons, I know there is more than that in the bin.

So far 7 oz added.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I have used 1/2 of it already so I don't feel right about it lol.

Plus for the first 4 months I wasn't testing, no corals died. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :)
You shouldn't feel bad about it, seriously... The other part to reporting the issue, even if you opt not to have them fix it for you, is giving them data points to check batches and see what went wrong and where so they can improve their process which allows them to have something like this happen less frequently. It's for them as much as it is for you and your future with their product.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't feel bad about it, seriously... The other part to reporting the issue, even if you opt not to have them fix it for you, is giving them data points to check batches and see what went wrong and where so they can improve their process which allows them to have something like this happen less frequently. It's for them as much as it is for you and your future with their product.

Agree

Is the batch # the number below the bar code?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back