Trouble catching peppermint shrimp

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble catching this freaking PITA shrimp. I’ve tried luring it out with food and using a net, and I’ve tried using the inverted bottle thing, but maybe I’m doing it wrong? I’ve just been leaving it in there during feeding time, and only once did I see it even attempt to go near the bottle. It mostly just ignores it completely. Over the past couple days it has picked at my goniopora frag, my teal stylo, and my blue stylo. At this point I just want to kill the dang thing, but I can’t catch it.

I can’t remove the rockwork, so that’s out of the question. Maybe I should skip a day of feeding and then try the bottle thing again so it’s really hungry? Or should I try leaving the bottle in overnight?

Please any help/suggestions are appreciated. This thing is driving me insane.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Set a simple trap using a CLEAN soda or 1 ltr bottle. Put a piece of food inside as bait

trap.jpg

OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, I tried the inverted bottle method, three days in a row. The little **** just won’t ever go inside to get the food. I think I might need to skip a day of feeding so its super hungry.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, I tried the inverted bottle method, three days in a row. The little **** just won’t ever go inside to get the food. I think I might need to skip a day of feeding so its super hungry.
The only way I got mine out was breaking down tank and taking all the rocks out , they are devious I swear

OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can spear it. Lead it out with some food, then spear it with a really sharp harpoon made out if toothpicks or something.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now in your boat these things are devious, they pick every soft coral clean as if they were aptasias.
When I first got the four peps at a time I started acclamation with a couple snails in a 1 gallon bucket, instantly when I put the snails in the bucket they attacked and had killed a snail before I could break up the fight, so I removed the rest of the live snails and let them eat the 1 while they acclimated. I wish I took them back right then, as if it were a warning sign...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back