Trouble in Paradise?

Viola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a bit of an issue that I just noticed today. We have multiple fish within our aquarium, and we have not 'technically' added any new fish...but our Bicolor blenny did disappear for a couple of months. I had just assumed the fish maintenance man took him for whatever reason, but we actually found him within our overflow earlier this week. We placed him back within the tank, and he's been hiding most of the week, which is fine. I just assumed he was getting re-aclimated. \

While I was watching him just a few minutes ago, the blenny came out, but then my Yellow-Eyed Kole Tang began chasing him pretty aggressively around the tank, forcing him back into the space he was hiding. Now I'm wondering if he's hiding because the kole tang has been aggressive towards him.

They had occupied the tank together for a couple of months prior to the blenny going missing, but I did not notice any behavioral issues during that time. Is this something you think they'll stop doing and maybe become accustomed to? Or should I be worried about the tang injuring the blenny?

Thank you so much in advance. They live in an established live reef tank and are fed three times a day, Mysis shrimp and spirulina flakes, also summplemented with romane lettuce.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will be fish, usually the aggression subsides but there really is no guarantee when it comes to different species. To the Cole, the blenny is a new unfamiliar fish in his space and the blenny is likely skittish from being trapped in the overflow.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the aggression from the kole caused the blenny to flee to the overflow in the first place. Both fish compete for the same niche.

The aggression might resolve, but I wouldnt count on it.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this link:
www.reef2reef.com/threads/strange-aggression.331370/#post-4133046
I hope things return to normal. But be prepared to remove/rehome the Kole or blenny just in case. I had a whitetail bristletooth that was peaceful for 2 years, then just snapped. All my fish were well fed too. The bristletooth not only tried to attack herbivores, it also went after my hawkfish etc.
Hope your tank returns to a peaceful state. Maybe do a slight rearrangement on aquascape then observe .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back