Trouble Keeping Copepods

ptrick21186

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2023
Messages
384
Reaction score
288
Location
Joliet
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some trouble keeping copepods in my tank. Tank is a little over 5 months old 48gal. Parameters are pretty stable where I want them to be. Fighting off a bit of a cryophytes bloom. Nitrates were low for a bit but since started dosing Neonitro. Have seeded with 4 jars of Ecopods on three different occasions. All times at night. Some in the sump. Some in the tank. Tried using a turkey baster to seed them directly into the rocks and sand. Have only ever seen pods in the sump for about maybe 2 weeks after seeding. Nothing ever in the display. Now I can't see any. Spent over $300 on pods. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep these guys alive? Or possibly a species that's a bit more hardy?
 
Having some trouble keeping copepods in my tank. Tank is a little over 5 months old 48gal. Parameters are pretty stable where I want them to be. Fighting off a bit of a cryophytes bloom. Nitrates were low for a bit but since started dosing Neonitro. Have seeded with 4 jars of Ecopods on three different occasions. All times at night. Some in the sump. Some in the tank. Tried using a turkey baster to seed them directly into the rocks and sand. Have only ever seen pods in the sump for about maybe 2 weeks after seeding. Nothing ever in the display. Now I can't see any. Spent over $300 on pods. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep these guys alive? Or possibly a species that's a bit more hardy?
Did you seed your tank with all flow off for a good while?
Do you run filter socks?
Did you feed them daily?
 
Did you seed your tank with all flow off for a good while?
Do you run filter socks?
Did you feed them daily?
3hrs. No filter socks, powerheads, or skimmer. Was dosing live phyto up until about 3 weeks ago after I'd given up on them being alive
 
What makes you say you have none? They are the size of a pinpoint. Not sure what you expect, but no doubt they are in your tank.

feed phyto to the tank to help them multiply.
I should be seeing SOMETHING. Ya they're small but not completely undetectable. For what I've put in there I should be seeing at least a few on the glass.
 
3hrs. No filter socks, powerheads, or skimmer. Was dosing live phyto up until about 3 weeks ago after I'd given up on them being alive
If you did all that I can assure there are pods in your tank
What fish do you have?
 
Use a blue flashlight to look at the substrate at night about a hour after the lights go off .
 
Having some trouble keeping copepods in my tank. Tank is a little over 5 months old 48gal. Parameters are pretty stable where I want them to be. Fighting off a bit of a cryophytes bloom. Nitrates were low for a bit but since started dosing Neonitro. Have seeded with 4 jars of Ecopods on three different occasions. All times at night. Some in the sump. Some in the tank. Tried using a turkey baster to seed them directly into the rocks and sand. Have only ever seen pods in the sump for about maybe 2 weeks after seeding. Nothing ever in the display. Now I can't see any. Spent over $300 on pods. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep these guys alive? Or possibly a species that's a bit more hardy?
I believe Tisbe biminiensis is the one widely sold that's tropical. Pod cultures will occasionally crash, especially if they're not finding enough food. Are you dosing phytoplankton for them?
 
I believe Tisbe biminiensis is the one widely sold that's tropical. Pod cultures will occasionally crash, especially if they're not finding enough food. Are you dosing phytoplankton for them? What fish do you have?
All that info is posted already
 
Yeah, sorry - for some reason the thread didn't completely load for me until I posted. n_n;;
 
Clean up crew/bio diversity
If you don’t have anything in there to eat them I can guarantee there are pods in there. Seeing them in the bottle when you buy them isn’t quite the same as trying to see them in your tank. Especially if you have a good hunk of rock in there
 
When the lights are off on the tank use your phone’s flashlight to light up the side of the tank while looking at the front glass up close.

You’ll see thousands of tiny spots. Keep staring long enough and you’ll see a couple of them move. Takes a bit to train the eye to see pods.

I rarely look/see pods, but I can see my mandarin, leopards and pipefish picking at the rock and substrate all day long.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new