Troubled Corals Help

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals were doing great then something happened and that's what I can't figure out.
I am running canister which has broken live rock, carbon, mechanical and purigen.
P04. 02
Calcium 555
Alk 10
Nitrate 3
PH 7.9-8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
I have 5 fish 1 anemone 1 hammer 1 galexia 1 GSP
All corals are not opening and struggling
Any thoughts.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your calcium and your alk always been on the higher end? What kind of lighting setup do you have?

OP
OP
F

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish 1 anemone 1 hammer 1 galexia 1 GSP
No additives
Set up over a year
Top off. RODI
Calcium and alkalinity used to be higher. Alk was running 12-13
Funny thing is corals did great with high nitrates when I got the reactr and got that under control is when I think the corals started to be unhappy.
Lighting. LED 3w 55 total per light and 2 set over a 55.they have always done great under them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. What are you thinking is there?

DI is depleted and metals or ammonia are rising in the effluent.

In a newly depleting DI, the concentration of some things (e.g., ammonia) can be higher than the incoming source water for a while. Those weakly held things have been accumulating in the DI for a while, then when the DI first depletes, more tightly bound ions (such as sodium) displace those in the DI that are more weakly held. Ammonia is one.

OP
OP
F

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI is depleted and metals or ammonia are rising in the effluent.

In a newly depleting DI, the concentration of some things (e.g., ammonia) can be higher than the incoming source water for a while. Those weakly held things have been accumulating in the DI for a while, then when the DI first depletes, more tightly bound ions (such as sodium) displace those in the DI that are more weakly held. Ammonia is one.
Tested TDS
IN: 6
OUT: 2

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested TDS
IN: 6
OUT: 2

It is probably not the issue, but I'd replace the DI, assuming you used a test method that will read 0 ppm TDS when the DI is new (such as an inline meter).

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent water change could help. IMO try lowering the nitrates and calcium get a par meter to check the pr throughout the tank and the dkh is a little high.

OP
OP
F

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent water change could help. IMO try lowering the nitrates and calcium get a par meter to check the pr throughout the tank and the dkh is a little high.
Isnt dkh supposed to be in between 8-12
I figured 10 was pretty good?
Where should I get it too.
Thanks

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DKH can vary. I believe sea water is 7. If you have SPS corals and especially acropora, you will want to keep DKH as stable as possible. Of course, it is a good chance that DKH variance is not the problem.

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt dkh supposed to be in between 8-12
I figured 10 was pretty good?
Where should I get it too.
Thanks

I thought the same to but I had a problem with some coral and I asked for help here on R2R my dkh was 10.5 and I was told it was a little high I lowered my dkh and my coral started opening up completely and seemed happy.

OP
OP
F

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same to but I had a problem with some coral and I asked for help here on R2R my dkh was 10.5 and I was told it was a little high I lowered my dkh and my coral started opening up completely and seemed happy.
Hmm I will give that a try. Calcium and dkh have a relationship in the tank so it will be a little tricky but I'll get her done. Thanks for the info.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk is not generally an issue unless nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) are very low/undetectable, but lowering alkalinity should be easy simply by not dosing any (assuming you presently dose any).

OP
OP
F

FancyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk is not generally an issue unless nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) are very low/undetectable, but lowering alkalinity should be easy simply by not dosing any (assuming you presently dose any).
I recently started dosing for po4 as it was high and that's what I first thought the problem was. My po4 is now. 02 and I got a reactr because my nitrates were high as well and now they are a 2 very very light pink. Nitrate was 15+ and corals were doing great. That's why I am so confused it should be the opposite

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing for po4 as it was high and that's what I first thought the problem was. My po4 is now. 02 and I got a reactr because my nitrates were high as well and now they are a 2 very very light pink. Nitrate was 15+ and corals were doing great. That's why I am so confused it should be the opposite

Corals will do OK higher levels. It could be they did not easily adapt to the suddenly lower levels, as it takes time for them to ramp up their uptake ability.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 of .02 is too low for corals you keep IMO.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back